Is it okay to let a broody sit on eggs now?

I just had a BO hatch 5 Sunday.

I have only had my chickens for 2 months, then Bubbles went broody and
was miserable. Once I replaced the golf balls with real eggs, she was
happy. I love that sound trilling/purring!

Fortunately, I don't have to worry about the cold being in Alabama.
I figure, hens and mother nature know whats best.

So, a couple of months ago I got five chickens, with the 5 that hatched,
I doubled my flock. I ordered an incubator......
and to think I only wanted a few chickens.

Thanks for all the info/opinions. I think I'm going to let her sit on some. We're in the 50's still so I think she'll be okay on temp for a bit. If it gets nasty i'll just bring her in the garage or something once the chicks hatch.

A hen can keep chicks warm even in winter. Think about it, they can brood eggs and keep them at 100 degrees for weeks. Why wouldn't she be able to keep chicks warm, even in a cold coop, as long as there aren't any drafts and she has a safe area to keep them in.

It may not be a perfect arrangement, but they certainly CAN do it. Chicks will run around and nose about till they get chilly, then rush back to mama and cuddle under her wings till they're warmed up, then bobble back out to nose around. What you think of as cold, being a resident of Tennessee, is just a bit of a chill to chooks, don't forget they're wearing a down jacket all the time.

I let my broodies sit whenever they want. If it makes them happy, then so be it. The more the merrier.
thumbsup.gif
I have a MAMA that has her babies outside and it was pretty cold out there and all of them are still here. I think it would be okay and like you said, you can always bring her and the babies in if need be.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom