Is it okay to lock down duck eggs a day or two early?

The eggs are currently at day nine of incubation. The kids and I are charting the development of the eggs for a science project(I homeschool), bonus is a few new ducklings to add to the flock. The eggs are being hand turned, but they are sitting in a propped up (almost on its side) egg carton with the air sack up. I was planning to take them out of the carton at lock down. I am going out of town on day 23 and will be back on day 26 with hatching on or about day 28. With no one to hand turn the eggs I am concerned that we might lose them right at the end of incubation.

Really? I can't believe in never came across the egg turner info while researching. Definitely good to know.

OH YEH, most definitely I'm not sure if its because they are much larger then a chicken and can't get those little lungs to retain air properly or what But I have tried many many many times. You see I hatch out call ducks and they are known for being the Hardest to hatch". well not anymore for me. LOL

I have a Pic on my website under Ducks, Method TWO and you can see all my eggs lay down and I believe you can even see the tape. www.lwbarnhouse.com

Works 10x better if they are laying down.. They do make trays for larger eggs so that you don't have to tape them like I do but WOW a little to expensive for me. Tape is cheaper.. LOL

The eggs are currently at day nine of incubation. The kids and I are charting the development of the eggs for a science project(I homeschool), bonus is a few new ducklings to add to the flock. The eggs are being hand turned, but they are sitting in a propped up (almost on its side) egg carton with the air sack up. I was planning to take them out of the carton at lock down. I am going out of town on day 23 and will be back on day 26 with hatching on or about day 28. With no one to hand turn the eggs I am concerned that we might lose them right at the end of incubation.
Well I think they will be OK if you leave your settings at exactly what you have it at now. Don't Raise the humidity and leave the temp as is..

The only concern is you have them in an upright position. It's best to lay them flat.

You can even lay them flat on the egg carton but if it was me, I would take the Egg carton out and lay them flat on the bottom of the bator, since you are already hand turning them, they will love you even more if they are flat..

I only had three out of four eggs make it to lock down. One stopped developing at about the half way point. Now it is hatch day! The eggs looked good and on target for a 28 day incubation and hatch at the last candling just before lock down. Now we are in the middle of day 28 and no pips.

With chicken eggs you can hear loud peeping after an internal pip. Is it the same with duck eggs? I haven't heard a sound all day and I am starting to get concerned.

Sorry, I forgot to post here that it was a successful hatch. All three ducklings are happily being brooded by a very sweet Salmon Faverolle hen name Peaches.

Hello. I've just got my Pekin duck eggs in the mail today. I'm putting them in my janoel 48 incubator tommorow morning 23 eggs. What's the story I heard on here about the best way is to lay the eggs down..I'm just trying to find out the best way.cos its the first time incubating duck eggs.

Back
Top Bottom