is it okay to raise a single duck if you hatch it yourself?

sunnyslip

In the Brooder
May 14, 2022
so this question isn’t for me. i have 7 ducks all together, who are happy and healthily bonded with each other. it’s actually about something i see on social media a LOT. i want to know if it’s cruel or not.

so if you get a single duck egg, hatch the duckling, and raise it alone so it doesn’t know of other ducks or flocks or anything… is that still cruel? will it still be stressed?

Cruel is a hard word because it is so severe. It's not natural for a duck to live alone so I would never do it or recommend someone do it. Even if the duck has constant human company the whole time, it's not the same as having a whole duck flock for itself.
So while I think cruel might be too strong of a word, it's definitely not ideal for the duck.

Cruel is a hard word because it is so severe. It's not natural for a duck to live alone so I would never do it or recommend someone do it. Even if the duck has constant human company the whole time, it's not the same as having a whole duck flock for itself.
So while I think cruel might be too strong of a word, it's definitely not ideal for the duck.
yeah, that’s what i was thinking. sorry for the poor word choice!

Back
Top Bottom