Is it okay to use a fence as a side for a run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nikki1, Nov 25, 2011.

1. nikki1

nikki1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Eatonville, WA
    I think I've about decided where we'll be putting our coop this spring. It's in a corner of our back yard that is as flat as anything in our yard, and it's away from the porch, but not a hike. It's also close to the back gate for easy compost heap access.

My question is this: We have a wood board fence in this area of the yard. If I festooned the outside of the fence with wire mesh, and made a nice predator proof skirt, could I use the fence as part of the run? I'd still have the expense of the hardware cloth, but it would save on framing and construction time. Is there any reason I shouldn't use the fence? The other side of the fence is just our "south 40," so the only neighbors that might be bothered would be the woodland creatures who live there.

Also, I could use some advice on the wire mesh I should use to line the outside of the fence to keep out the predators. I'm assuming I should go with 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth for the anti-dig skirt, but what about the mesh I use to keep chewers off the fence? Should I stick with the small mesh, or could I get away with something wider?

Let me know what you think?

--Nikki:confused:

[​IMG] (this one is a message from my little girl, who is fascinated by BYC smilies.)

2. kcwazzu

kcwazzu Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Auburn, WA
    I don't see why not. As you stated you don't have an set back issues to worry about so go for it.

Keith

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Sounds good to me, and saves a little $. Personally, I only worry about using hardware cloth on the lower 24 inches to prevent reach-ins. Larger wire should be fine for the rest, even the skirt.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I agree with everyone else. I think it should be ok. Great idea. [​IMG]

5. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

My run is half privacy fence and the other half is the outside wall of the house.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by