1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it possible !!! Big hen Little Rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MRBIG, Apr 12, 2007.

1. MRBIG

MRBIG Out Of The Brooder

I think that, you can all guess what i am about to ask ! Could my little Pekin Rooster " MR BIG " thats his name ....do the funky-chicken with my large hens... is this possible i just can't see it happening and if he was would this be why my hens have slowed up on laying eggs and why one has gone clucky sitting on a egg that may never hatch Please help.[​IMG]

2. JamesC

JamesC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2007
    MRBIG:
    It is possible, I don't know whether it will happen with a Pekin (Cochin) bantam male but I have had it happen with other breeds.
    However, whether or not the eggs have been fertilized has nothing to do with the hens going broody. That's controlled by hormones so whether or not the eggs will hatch, the hen will go broody so you might want to candle the eggs after about a week and replace them with fertile eggs, if these aren't fertile and you want chicks.

James

3. lively Bee's

lively Bee's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    I have a freind tha had a bantam roo that mated with this buff orp. more then once and hatched out some chicks. He has to have a strong will.

4. MRBIG

MRBIG Out Of The Brooder

What do you mean by "candle" the eggs thanks Jame's C
    and how can you tell if the eggs are fertile.

5. MarkR

MarkR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Ivy, Virginia
    A friend of mine has a dog that is half dachshund (the father?!?!?) and half german shepherd. All things are possible.[​IMG]

Mark

6. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    That's got to be one funny looking dog![​IMG]

Karen

7. MarkR

MarkR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Ivy, Virginia
    Looks sort of like a corgi with buggier eyes.[​IMG]

Mark

8. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    My little silky roo "randy" actually prefers the bigger hens. Hes made a mate in the big coop and they sleep together 9its too cute) But hes all the time trying to mate her and her sisters. Crystal

9. MRBIG

MRBIG Out Of The Brooder

Gee thanks everyone i am being very serious i'm talking Chickens and you lot are talking about dogs is this the "DOG FORUM"...... oh well, guess I'll have to wait and see what will be will be!!!!

10. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    To candle an egg, wait till the hen has been on it a week or more. Then take it into a dark area, and circle it with your fingers, and point a mag flashlight at the egg from underneath. YOu should be able to make out some bloodveins inside the egg, if it is fertile.
    I don't think your little roo wou ld have much trouble mating with a larger hen, if he is determined to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by