Is it possible for a young pullet to lay more than once a day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mommysongbird, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Our black pullet with the crest is laying our pinkish eggs (95% sure) and so far today, we have 2 of them. About 3 hours apart. This first one came around 10:30 AM and then the second just got it and it was still fairly warm. She was the only one in the coop, so that is why I am 95% sure it is her.

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    It is highly doubtful.

Maybe one got missed yesterday?

Or someone else snuck in and layed one?

3. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:No, we only get 2 - 3 eggs per day and yesterday was 3 and we got them all. I checked the boxes at 10ish and found the ONLY egg and that was the Oive egg (it was cold, so it was laid earlier this AM, maybe around 8ish). Then around 10:15/10:20ish my son said that Queeny (the one who lays the pinkish eggs) was in the coop and when I went out around 10:30 there was the first egg (pinkish) Then around Noon I noticed that she was not in the run again and looked in the coop and she was back in the box. Looked out about a 1/2 hour later and she was in the run, check the boxes and there was the 2nd egg.

I always move the straw and chips around and pat it down to see if there are any other eggs. I am not sure HOW they would take eggs from another nest to put in the other when our nests are made of buckets cut in half. The buckets are about 2 inches apart.

4. jmarshall

jmarshall Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Western NY
    I have been interested to know this also. I have too many though to tell who is laying what. I thought they would all lay at the same time (age) but I get 7 eggs a day from 13 chickens. Well 10 to be exact since 3 are younger than the rest and not old enough.

5. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yes, it is possible, just not that common. :)

I got two in an hour from the same bird on the same day - her first day of laying. There was absolutely NO DOUBT that these eggs were from the same bird. I only have three chickens, they free range and during the day they only go into the coop to lay, she was the only one to visit the coop that morning, the other two hadn't started laying eggs at all yet, and didn't start laying for another month.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes. I have had chickens lay every other day, two eggs in one day. Then repeat for awhile.

7. gertiie

gertiie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    My friendhas 5 hens and 1 rooster ( was supposed to be a hen, thanks again TSC ) she is getting 6 eggs a day from 5 hens

8. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    Yes... I had two in one day from a hen. It's only happened once.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by