Is it possible..... *Help Please!*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bec, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

for a standard to successfully breed a bantam? Or the other was around? I am pretty sure on the answer to that, yes, BUT the real question would be...IF a smaller breed of chicken that lays smaller eggs was bred by a bigger breed, wouldn't the mixed breed chick be too big for the little egg instead of being in an egg that is bigger from it's own kind?? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Good question!!!

3. Bec

I was wondering if the chick developing in the egg under my broody belongs to the roo of her kind or the BIG cochin roo...lol. Curiosity got me!

4. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    an egg is an egg.... the HEN decides on how big the egg is,, not the rooster... . once it HATCHES then the rooster genes make the chick grow big...or????

5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    A bantam roo will mate with a standard hen, and vise versa. I don't reccomend letting a standard roo mate with a bantam tho because of the damage they can cause to the poor little bantam hens

6. Bec

Well mine aren't exactly bantams, They are about the size of a standard polish and may have been bred accidentally by my cochin.

Ok, so the baby will be as small as the egg will let it, then it will grow...got it.

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    If it helps i have a male doxie seen mating a female St Bernhard. If there is a will there is a way.

8. Bec

[​IMG] THAT would be interesting to see!!

9. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:It was no accident, he ment to do it. [​IMG]

10. Bec

Oh, he sure did... [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by