1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

is it possible my hen isnt laying because its lonley?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenbottom, Jan 4, 2009.

1. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    could my hen not be laying because its lonley we have no others now she is a dominique she is nine months old um i was just wondering if it is just possible and she eats right now and she has 12 hours a day of sunlight so she is good in that compartment aswell

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    she is just fine she will lay when she's ready, if not and you still think she is lonely send her to a therapist, really calm down all is ok.

3. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    a chicken therapist doent seem like a rational answer [​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Could be time of year, but she should lay when she is ready. A friend or a few may help socially though, in aspects other than egg laying.

5. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    she had a friend coming on the 17th of this month and on the 16th i am sopose to have 13 coming from ideal

6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Since she is bigger I would not put her with the babies. She might pick at them.

7. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    It was only about a week ago you said you were going to get a higher protein feed. Did you do that? How much protein is she getting now? If her development was slowed by lack of protein, it will still take a little while for her to catch up. Has her comb turned red yet, or is it still pink?

8. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I don't think she could not be laying because of loneliness, but you should still get another to keep her company.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by