Is it possible to give flock to many earth worms?

NinjaGamer2022

Songster
Apr 30, 2022
I am going to start a earthworm (not mealworm yet) bin. Is it possible to give them to many earth worms? Can I just fill a large bowl and let them eat what they want? I want earthworms to be as large of a part of their diet possible. Thx,

Earthworms can carry parasites, just so you know, but it might not be as big an issue if you raise them from eggs. I don't think they reproduce and grow as fast as you think. for all your chickens, (40?) you'd probably need 4lbs of earthworms a day.

Earthworms are very high in protein but low in fat but they're over 50% protein which is more than double what you find in commercial feed. As far as I can tell they contain no calcium or carbohydrates which chickens will need to make eggs. I will tag someone who knows more about chicken nutrition but my guess is you will be able to supplement their diet with earthworms as opposed to basing it on earthworms
@U_Stormcrow

I have heard that earthworms are bad for chickens and can even be deadly to them. I've seen my chickens eat a couple every now and then, and they were just fine. I would be concerned about abundance.

If you'd like to grow a worm for them, many people like growing mealworms for them. Not only are mealworms tasty treats for the birds, they produce good compost. ;)

I have heard that earthworms are bad for chickens and can even be deadly to them. I've seen my chickens eat a couple every now and then, and they were just fine. I would be concerned about abundance.

If you'd like to grow a worm for them, many people like growing mealworms for them. Not only are mealworms tasty treats for the birds, they produce good compost. ;)
Would mealworms be a good and large part a their daily diet? I could start a mealworm bin instead. Thank you all for this info.

Would mealworms be a good and large part a their daily diet? I could start a mealworm bin instead. Thank you all for this info.
I'm not sure about that. I'm pretty positive that it has good protein. I just know that some people enjoy raising them for their birds. :)

Back
Top Bottom