Is it possible to have a roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by okiemamachick, Jan 19, 2015.

1. okiemamachick

okiemamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    That doesn't flog? I've had the worst luck in this department I'd like to keep a roo and hopefully have a hen go broody one day but dang! My poor 4 year old was terrified of chickens because we had two roosters (they were supposed to be girls) and they both flogged her at different occasions. Any thoughts?

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Get small bantam variety. There are more docile types. I just am not an expert on roos, and don't want any. But I'm sure there are people that can steer you right.

3. okiemamachick

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Thank you for your input! I need to Google docile rooster breeds

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Docility in roosters is not attributable to breed alone, if at all.
    Bantams can be just as aggressive as large fowl, just doesn't hurt as much...lol...maybe.

When a small child is involved, best not to have roosters at all.

Broodiness has nothing to do with a rooster being present or not, they will either go broody or not.
    You can always get fertile eggs from someone else if you do have a hen go broody and want her to hatch out some chicks.

If you really think you need to have rooster, read up on chicken and rooster behavior as that's the key to managing aggressiveness.

@Ridgerunner has a great write up on rooster behavior, maybe they will chime in?

5. okiemamachick

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    yes I realize that the rooster isn't what makes the hen go broody I just meant that I would like to have a Flock that naturally replenishes itself.thanks for the info I appreciate all the help I can get lol

6. Anira

Anira Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    I've had more bantam cockerels flog than standards (though that's still only 2-0). Red Cochin bantam and some sort of blue OEGB decided to start attacking my legs a while back. Had them butchered, even though I wanted to keep them.

I have several other cockerels that don't even act like they want to try (including the Cochin's son). I can't say they'll leave other people alone if they go into the pen, though.

7. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    I've had mean bantam Silkie and Faverolle cockerels, both noted to have great temperament as a breed. Bantams seem to be cockier than large fowl in general. They are just small and easier to deal with. The only rooster I have had that I would turn my back on without hesitation has been a LF Orpington. I am sure there are other breeds, but it is an individual thing as well as breed thingl.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Whenever a person has had multiple mean roosters, I always think it's a behavior on the human's part. Look up centarchid's thread on dealing with aggressive roosters, he deals with both the bird's and the human's behavior. Not to offend at all, just trying to point out people often inadvertently encourage aggression by not being confident.

Okay, tried to copy and paste link to the thread but the tablet and I aren't in agreement how to do that, sorry.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by