Is it possible to have to many hens per rooster?

DelawareQueen14

Chirping
Aug 8, 2016
USA
I just ordered 17 chicks from cackle hatchery that were supposed to be all pullets but I have one RIR rooster. I've never had a rooster before but I don't think I want to get rid of it. Is it possible to have too many hens per rooster?
jumpy.gif

welcome-byc.gif
so glad you have joined us. You should consider posting an intro in the New Members forum for a proper welcoming.

The problems occur when you have too many roosters/hen ratio. Sounds like you should keep him and he will be a very happy boy.
big_smile.png

I just ordered 17 chicks from cackle hatchery that were supposed to be all pullets but I have one RIR rooster. I've never had a rooster before but I don't think I want to get rid of it. Is it possible to have too many hens per rooster?
Only if you're breeding them, then you might not have complete fertility in all 17 pullets/hens.

If you are new to chickens, keeping a cock/erel might not be so much fun if you're not familiar with animal behaviors.....they can be nasty, cause trouble, and be dangerous if young children are around.

@Ridgerunner posted a great blurb on cock/erels not long ago....may they will paste it here for you to read.

I'm probably not going to breed them. But I've had chickens for the past 6-7 years so I'm not completely new to it. I've just never owned a rooster. Lots of my other family members have had roosters before. I know how mean they can get, believe me I've heard lots of stories.
tongue.png
But I think I'm ready for one, besides I need him to protect my hens! But, thank you for your advice!
thumbsup.gif

I think you are ready for a rooster too. I did not have one for a couple of years, and got some chicken experience. It turned out well for me. I love having a single rooster with my ladies. And it has always reduced day time predation for me.

Mrs K

I try to be very observant of my boys behaviors. I watch to see if they treat the ladies right and me with respect. Any who are overly agressive - GO. I have 8 cockerels that I have to pick from my hatches this spring. Most of the time I hate getting rid of any as I enjoy their plumage but too many boys just upset the ladies so, off they go. I do enjoy their crowing and I like watching them careing for their ladies. My hubby always wants to know why I keep them. Eye candy of course!
wink.png

I'm probably not going to breed them. But I've had chickens for the past 6-7 years so I'm not completely new to it. I've just never owned a rooster. Lots of my other family members have had roosters before. I know how mean they can get, believe me I've heard lots of stories.
tongue.png
But I think I'm ready for one, besides I need him to protect my hens! But, thank you for your advice!
That should help a lot!

I just ordered 17 chicks from cackle hatchery that were supposed to be all pullets but I have one RIR rooster. I've never had a rooster before but I don't think I want to get rid of it. Is it possible to have too many hens per rooster? :jumpy

In my opinion, the more hens per rooster the better! I read somewhere that one rooster should be able to properly fertilize 10-15 hens. But I had a flock of 21 hens and 1 rooster and I tried incubating some of my eggs and every single egg I put in was fertile and started developing. Maybe not all roosters are the same but I think your boy should do well with your hens. =) As long as I find a nice one I love having a rooster around! I hope you will too.

Back
Top Bottom