Is it possible to have too friendly of birds?

Srod79

Songster
Apr 2, 2018
Kansas
We have two batches of chicks, some are 5 weeks and others are 2 weeks (separate brooders). My olders are very fond of me, like to roost on me and seems to be completely as ease as I feed, water, clean and chat and love them. Our two weekers are starting to walk right into my hands and love to be cuddled under my chin. So cute! I know it is good to be able to handle your birds when needed, but am I doing a disservice to my porch and flowers by such a bond? The bird barn sits approx an acre from the house and they will free range God willing... opinions?

I wouldn't worry about having too friendly chickens unless they are roosters. Friendly roosters will end up turning on you. Hens being friendly I see as ok. I really like friendly hens, until they go step in mud and things like that then go and fly up onto my head.
If you are worried about your porch or garden you should fence it off. It doesn't matter if your hens are friendly or not, they still will go on your porch or take a dust bath in your garden.
When you have friendly hens you can train them things. I once trained a hen to come when she was called. Some people teach their chickens to play the piano. I have a hen who will ride in a stroller, wagon, and a sled.

I actually have never heard of a hen who is too friendly.

I wouldn't worry about having too friendly chickens unless they are roosters. Friendly roosters will end up turning on you. Hens being friendly I see as ok. I really like friendly hens, until they go step in mud and things like that then go and fly up onto my head.
If you are worried about your porch or garden you should fence it off. It doesn't matter if your hens are friendly or not, they still will go on your porch or take a dust bath in your garden.
When you have friendly hens you can train them things. I once trained a hen to come when she was called. Some people teach their chickens to play the piano. I have a hen who will ride in a stroller, wagon, and a sled.

I actually have never heard of a hen who is too friendly.
Fantastic news, thank you! I know they get into everything, I was just imagining them roosting on the porch fence, but I suppose it doesn't matter if they are friendly or not to do that.

IMHO
Free ranging successfully depends on the birds themselves and the breed. While a 'flighty' breed may be better, other breeds free range and stay mostly safe if they are used to it. Especially when they lose one to a predator, they become VERY wary.
I have jersey giants and naked necks, calm friendly birds and free range great.
As far as too friendly to humans not good , I don't think so unless they're silkies.
I don't like 'friendly' birds, annoying. I don't have them for pets, I want them to do their thing and I do mine. I've had silkies, annoying, peck your toes when you feed them, won't move out of the way. I didn't think the naked necks would be the same but the girls are annoying as heck, crowd you right around your feet, push them back away and they are like magnets. The roosters don't but the hens do. The giant's don't, a very calm non-flighty breed but not overly 'huggy'.
Not biting the hand that feeds them, I don't think it affects their ability to stay alive in a free range setting with predators at all.
I've lost very few birds over the yrs and I'm surrounded by various predators.
(I do pray a lot though ;))

Edit, forgot to add, they will scratch through and eat anything they want to by the way lol :lol:

There's 'friendly', and there's 'too pushy', or aggressive, if cockerels. I think that having birds that respect my space, and will visit when invited, is best.
Nobody gets in my face, or near my eyes!!!
Think about an eight or ten pound dirty bird jumping on your head, or back. Not so cute! Train for the behaviors that you will want for their lifetime, not what's 'cute' now.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom