Is it possible to keep Polish with other chickens?

Mamaperreca

Chirping
9 Years
May 16, 2010
Missouri
barnie.gif
I am so aggravated. I got a new Polish. I put him in with the other 3 I have (1 maran, 1 EE and 1 other Polish). They are all the same age about 8-9 weeks, same size more or less, etc.. I expected the regular pecking order stuff. He quickly found a space in the coop he could hide from the others. I went out this morning and all was good. He hadn't been pecked. Then this evening I go out and his head is pecked. BUT the worst is my poor Polish girl is practically bald in the course of one day! I am so ticked. She finally just grew her feathers back from two weeks ago when they pecked her.

I gave them some liver. It worked for curbing the pecking last time. i hoped I had seen the last of it, but apparently not. I am 90% sure its my Maran chick doing it.
he.gif

Any good advice?

So is it even possible to have Polish in with non-Polish birds. My poor Foofy looks terrible.
sad.png

I keep my 3 polish roosters with a variety of hens (cochins, welsummer, easter egger, buttercup, salmon faverolles, NJ giants...). I've had them all just over a year - 2 of the roosters have big bald spots on their heads since very early on, and the other has no tail. I was worried at first but after trying many things just gave up. They seem fine, just a little ratty looking. They do not seem to mind being "abused" by the hens - I see the hens grooming their bald spots and the roosters just hang their heads down, seemingly enjoying it. I did notice if I leave the light on after they go to roost they get picked on more. So I don't ever turn it on and they just go with whatever daylight they have naturally. Good luck!

I have some bantam Frizzle Polish chicks that I hatched out over the weekend... so I'd be interested in knowing this as well. I had planned on putting them in with my bantam Naked Neck chicks in a few months. eek!
I have some Rooster Booster Pick-No-More Lotion... I have one hen that was getting picked on and it worked really well... it has a pretty intense tea tree oil smell... oh, and it will temporarily dye feathers (and fingers!) a purple blue color.

My cochin was 2 weeks older than my other chicks and they pecked at her until she was raw. I used the Rooster Booster and it worked well. I was holding the chick with one hand, so I opened the cap with my teeth and got a little on my lip. It felt like pepper juice, but I imagine the discomfort is better than having all of your feathers picked out. It did take a few applications, but she healed an the flock gets along well now.

I use Grannick's Bitter Apple to keep puppies from chewing on furniture, I wonder if that would work if you sprayed some on your hands and just rubbed it on the head feathers that are getting picked. I wouldn't put it on any other feathers because it would taste bad when they try to groom themselves.

Well they look better this morning. Didn't get picked on last night. I went out and put some Tea Tree Oil on the other feathers in their top hats, to hopefully deter pecking with both smell and taste. I didn't actually put it on the wounds cause that stuff can burn. I don't think they will peck the wound today. The red is gone and it just looks like regular skin.

We will see. I have some purple hair dye that I might rub on there if I get desperate.
tongue.png

You can also try axle grease. It works instantly. The stink of it keeps the others from pecking. Just rub a glob of it on the wounded area and no more pecking! You may have to reapply now and then, but it really does help with pecking problems.
thumbsup.gif

A few good tips there to curb the pecking ..I might try some of those myself

One of my bantam wyandottes is really being bullied

What does the liver do ??

Back
Top Bottom