Is it possible to make a Rectangular waterer ??

Benxailla

In the Brooder
May 6, 2020
Hello everyone , I was wondering if I can make an automatic waterer in a Rectangular shape just for small birds like quails, well the idea is to make a vase with glass in rectangular shape then add a tube on the level of water you want, then connect the tube to a bucket of 5 gallon bottle , finally you will have your automatic diy waterer
b5247c14aa1b50a4e47062bc051924cc.jpg

Anything is possible if you have the materials and tools to do it.
The problem with making such item from glass poses a few obstacles. You will need to make it non-leaking. You will have to figure out ways to be careful not to break glass. You will also need to round the exposed edges to prevent sharp edge class cuts. All this can certainly be done, but is effort intensive.

If I wanted a long shallow waterer for small birds like quail, I would opt for a length of 4 inch PVC pipe cut lengthwise in half. You can easily seal off the ends with a cap also cut in half. Easily mounted and secured with screws to wherever you wanted it placed. Can also be easily glued to a board to be movable, and free-standing.
Plastic is easy to clean.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Anything is possible if you have the materials and tools to do it.
The problem with making such item from glass poses a few obstacles. You will need to make it non-leaking. You will have to figure out ways to be careful not to break glass. You will also need to round the exposed edges to prevent sharp edge class cuts. All this can certainly be done, but is effort intensive.

If I wanted a long shallow waterer for small birds like quail, I would opt for a length of 4 inch PVC pipe cut lengthwise in half. You can easily seal off the ends with a cap also cut in half. Easily mounted and secured with screws to wherever you wanted it placed. Can also be easily glued to a board to be movable, and free-standing.
Plastic is easy to clean.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
Thank you

Hello everyone , I was wondering if I can make an automatic waterer in a Rectangular shape just for small birds like quails, well the idea is to make a vase with glass in rectangular shape then add a tube on the level of water you want, then connect the tube to a bucket of 5 gallon bottle , finally you will have your automatic diy waterer
View attachment 2623801
Yeah, it's called a rain gutter..

I was just thinking about this myself. I was wondering why the automatic chicken feeders are always round as they take up a lot of space the way they are designed imo.
If you look at automatic budgie feeders you will see they are designed far more space efficiently but nothing seems to exist on a larger scale for chickens! You can get galvanised feeders lie the budgie feeders but they are 70 dollars, so why not what I saw made out of metal made out of plastic ?
I then looked up cheap homemade feeders and found a brilliant gravity fed feeder using a storage tub and 6 drainpipe bends for them to stick their heads in, but when I looked up the material cost of 6 x drain bends and a storage tub I'd be better off just buying a ready made one!
But the ready made ones are rubbish, food gets strewn all over, they still manage to poo in the feeder and they are not rain proof.

I then decided the only solution is to make my own, based on a budgie bird feeder like this one https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61d1bbXBIHL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

So the way to scale it up would be to use a 5l square (or round) storage container, cut 4 holes big enough for them to stick their heads through, then instead of using drain pipes just cut a margarine tub in half and glue that to the inside of the storage container covering one of the holes and repeat with the other 3 holes. Like this when you fill the tub, the margarine tubs stop any food flowing out the holes but the chickens can stick their head in and eat the food.

I haven't made one yet, I just thought of making it today and the reason is as mentioned they won't be able to make any mess and they won't be able to poop in their food anymore but the most important reason I find is that it will save space, instead of having a big tub with a big ring around it you just have a tub with holes going inside it instead.

In my opinion a far better design.

As for an automatic square waterer, you can't beat horizontal nipples. I drilled one into a 1 liter sports drink bottle which takes up very little space.

I think using the glass would be tricky. Tricky to fill, it needs to be airtight or it will leak, tricky to clean and it will get dirty

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom