is it possible to make your hen go broody in february

they'll only go broody when they decide its the right time.. mostly when the right daylight kicks in. you can increase that with artificial lighting... keep them mites/lice/worm free. keep them healthy.. not fat nor skinny. fresh water, best to keep them on grass or let them free range a couple hours a day. if you want to see how far along they are.. pick the hens up, and feel around their vent. you'll feel 2 bones (pelvic bones) if you can fit 2 fingers inbetween the bones they are or are about to lay. For bantams im still experimenting to see but im guessing one since their so small. have also heard leaving a few fake eggs in the nest will increase the "want/need" to lay

PS. when it starts to get time for laying i like to feed them some fruit. also will mix up some bread/eggs to give them and stuff like that.

Last edited:
I wish there was a way to get a girl to go broody. (someday I'll regret this comment) but I believe it is a hormonal thing -someone correct me if I'm wrong. Hope you have a happy broody chicken soon!

I really dont belive that it is posable to make one go broody but i did notice a few times a few years ago while feeding straght shelled corn a large number of hens went broody this happend twice.
idunno.gif
they still got to eat so might be worth a try.

Ya cant make it happen but you can make it more likely. Leave the nest full of eggs an over feed them corn.

A fat hen with an over abundance of food an a nest full of eggs has the incentive an the energy stores to wont to go broody.

Back
Top Bottom