1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is it possible to raise silkies indoors completely?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ashylove1, Jan 31, 2012.

1. ashylove1

ashylove1 New Egg

Jan 31, 2012
    i mean they would have outside time too, but would live in the house... is this at all possible? and what do you do if you end up with a rooster(or 2) but cannot have roosters?

2. jlovelady

jlovelady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    You could try to trade the roosters for a hen. I do not have any experience with raising silkies in the house, but I belive I have read that some people do keep them in the house. If you decide to, you will need to get rid of any cookware that is nonstick or teflon. It does something to their lungs, at least with parakeets.

3. Hanna8

Hanna8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    You could, but it would get old fast. Chickens aren't exactly the cleanest of animals! Silkies are particularly hard to sex so I would wait until you are sure they are roosters, then rehome them. If you can't have them, they are pretty hard to hide once they start crowing. People here have had a lot of success selling roosters on Craigslist. Or as jlovelady said, you could try trading them, but it will probably take longer to find somebody to trade with than if you just sold them.

4. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    I bought two silkies in Oct. hoping at least one would be a hen, with in 3 weeks, I found out one was a roo. Three weeks ago, I found out the other was also a roo,and he is not a friendly one either. He is posted on Craig's List, and also at my local feed store.
    My silkies were inside for the 30 day quarantine, before I moved them outside. They are in a separate coop & run, apart from my standard hens. It was a long 30 days, I was ready to move them out, and I was cleaning them every other day, and there was dust & wood shaving every where.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Chickens create so much dust...it really isn't healthy to breathe. Some do keep house chickens and love it apparently but I prefer to keep them outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by