Is it possible to tell between eggs that contain hen and roosters before you incubate them?

clairemcc1

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 16, 2011
I guess if the answer for this was obvious it would save us all a lot of hassel from raising rosoters. However, my uncle is 70 years old and comes from a good farming backround, I was chatting to him about hatching out hens and he reckons he is able to tell if the egg is a hen or rooster before they are incubated? I dont know if this is possible or not to be honest. I was wondering if anyone else had ever heard of this and would know if it is possible. I am tempted to put his theory to the test just to see how accurate he would be. what you think?

I guess if the answer for this was obvious it would save us all a lot of hassel from raising rosoters. However, my uncle is 70 years old and comes from a good farming backround, I was chatting to him about hatching out hens and he reckons he is able to tell if the egg is a hen or rooster before they are incubated? I dont know if this is possible or not to be honest. I was wondering if anyone else had ever heard of this and would know if it is possible. I am tempted to put his theory to the test just to see how accurate he would be. what you think?

Every so often there is a thread on about this

personally I don't think you can tell by looking at the egg (though a lot of people swear that the rounder egg contains a female and the more pointed one contains a male)..

However in the spirit of fun i am going to check this batch of eggs I have that are due to hatch out this week to see..

Please let me know how you get on. It would be brillant if it worked. How many are you incubating?

Every so often there is a thread on about this

personally I don't think you can tell by looking at the egg (though a lot of people swear that the rounder egg contains a female and the more pointed one contains a male)..

However in the spirit of fun i am going to check this batch of eggs I have that are due to hatch out this week to see..

Clairemcc1,

Sadly, No. You cannot tell once so ever that its going to be a hen or a rooster prior to putting them in the incubator and or doing incubation. The only way to tell is once they are hatched, if you are experienced at sexing day old chicks you can tell if they are going to be a rooster or a pullet.

If this was the case at our hatchery we would be able to just hatch hens but that's not the case. If we want 10 hens we have to put in about 30 eggs to get a good ratio of pullets to roosters. At our hatchery we do not throw away roosters into bins like commercial hatcheries. We have many outlets to finding the roosters a home or we allow them to roam on our farm. There is a way to introduce roosters together so they do not fight. This all comes with experience and trial and error.

Hatching eggs you are always at a high risk of getting more roosters than pullets, so be prepare for that to happen.

I hope this answers any of your questions. We have some great resources on our website you are more than welcome to go to our website and read about poultry. www.Domanifarm.com

Have a great day!

Last edited:
Egg shape its self has nothing to do with sex. It can effect hatch rate though.
The thing about egg shape is that a hen usually lays the same shape egg every day. You may have a hen that is laying pointy eggs an one that is laying round eggs. But for the most part both should hatch about 50% girls.

Now some hens hatch mostly girls an others hatch mostly boys. So when you put these together you can get more or less girls by hatching only one hens (one shape) eggs.

Some ya can't much tell after they are hatched neither.
wink.png

I keep forgetting there's no "edit button"..

I set 18 marans (they were shipped eggs.. so I have pulled 5 though there are 2 more that look infertile) and 24 eggs from my mutt Roo .. (all are pullet eggs and only two of them weren't fertilized)

If roundess was a indicator then my blue andy/banty cross roo should have been an hen he came out of a nicely rounded egg.

Back
Top Bottom