Is it possible?

iajewel

Songster
11 Years
Oct 22, 2008
Corning IA
Is it possible to actually potty train a duck? My DH said I can have anything in the house I can train to a litter box or to go out side, but diapers are out. I have a baby duck that was hit by a mail truck and lived. I really don't want to see her go out side. Anyone have a solution? Know how to potty train a duck?

No, you can't
sad.png
Birds just don't have the muscle that mammals do that allows us to 'hold' it.

There isn't anyway you can persuade DH? Diapers are really easy to use, why doesn't he like them? I have ducks in the house and I don't even use diapers and I don't find it that hard.

Tell him people keep parrots in the house and a large macaw is about the same size as a duck
wink.png

You can't potty train. What about an area in the house that is hers? You could use a large crate and take her outside a number of times per day for exercise. Or partition off a section of an unused room. That way she is not pooping everywhere and it would make it easier to clean.

As others have said, "duck ducks" don't have sphincter muscles to control bodily fluids. Where they stand when it goes is where it falls. From what I've read though diapers can be very manageable. If you make your own duck food they poop less and not as stinky as they would if you just fed them crumble, and ducks as housepets don't have so many of the vices that traditional pets do like chewing, scratching, shedding, biting. As a note though, I find bathtubs in spare bathrooms make great indoor "pens" when I need a duck inside.

I guess if he won't go for a duck you could try a ferret. They can be box trained easily, are very sweet with proper attention, and very clownish, I certainly enjoy my house ferrets!

Last edited:
I would tell him you can train ducks to poop outside or in a specific place, then when the duck poops on the carpet and hes not happy, just say "Aw but im trying really really hard to train her" . Im sure a few years will pass before he realises anything is up!
lau.gif
Im sure he would even try and help you train her, being a male myself it would be like a challenge, and I wouldnt stop until the duck pooped where I wanted, and saying as this will never happen, your sorted!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom