Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Ole rooster, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    This isn't about predators but a dog protecting the flock.

Today I came out of the house and started towards to coop about 11:00. All the chickens were pretty close so they all came running straight at me. As I got closer to the coop I heard the mama with the 6 chicks up behind the coop. They were about 30 yards away. All of a sudden mama came running and screaming like something was after her. It wasn't. She just wanted some scratch. When she took off, 3 of the chicks came with her and the other three stayed where they were. I saw her and 3 chicks but not the others. Well Morgan, my mutt, heard the commotion and went toward the mama to see what the problem was. The strange part was he looked at her and keep moving and smelling his was back up the hill right to the point where the other 3 chicks were. When he found them he very slowly herded them back down the hill to where they should have been. When he got them all together it was almost as though he counted them and came to me.

How did he know 3 were not with the rest? I told the wife about it and she thought maybe he could smell each chick and knew it that way. I know a dog has a good nose, but that good? How did he know. He does have a lot of Australian Shepard in him and possibly Border Collie.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Well, since Aussies and Border Collies are both herding breeds, maybe he just instictively knew that some were missing? Or, I suppose individual birds can have inidividual smells. Whatever the case may be, "good dog!" [​IMG]

3. jlovelady

jlovelady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    Thats a good dog. Its hard enough to find a dog that won't kill em, but one that will protect chicks is really amazing. Congrats on that, you will have a hard time finding another one.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Good dog! I'm sure he knew how many chicks there were...doesn't surprise me a bit.

5. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    My dog is Aussie/Border Collie mix and she has always made sure the chickens were okay and if they were not where they should be then she would move them with her nose in their proper spot.

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Then I best just not concern myself why or how, but count my blessing he does.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by