Is it Possible ! ? ! ? ! ?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by mahsmaj, Jul 31, 2008.

1. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    Is it ok to order ducklings in late summer like mid August??? Will they survive the winter???

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  2. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    Anyone???

3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

how cold does it get where you live?

By 2 months they are already mostly finished with feathering, so I would think that would be a good guess. In other words, they need to be 2 months old before your place gets 'cold'.

What is cold...dunno...freezing?

4. LV426

LV426 Chillin

Jul 16, 2008
    I had late ducklings last year, they hatched probably late August. I live in Seattle so we have really short summers and mild but rainy winters out here. I had to keep mine inside until they were fully fledged and then I filled a doghouse with straw for them to stay in if it got cold. I guess I finally moved them outside the middle of October. If you have 5 or more they should be ok in the winter unless it gets really cold. I wouldn't leave them un-sheltered at night in winter though. I guess ultimately it will depend on how you are keeping them.

5. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    They will be fully feathered out before it gets cold where you live. They grow so fast..

Middle of June mine were born and I moved momma duck and her babies to their pen.

7 babies fit in bottom of a five gallon bucket and then some for transport. Now one could not even fit in the bucket:lol:

I have to look twice to see who is momma cause they are fully feathered and getting as big as her!

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:hahaha just like mine. when i got them from Brenda all three fit in a small shoebox now they are so huge that they couldnt even fit their tails in one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by