Is it safe or unsafe for chickens to eat wasted vegetables?

Luciana069

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2020
I have three chickens in my yard. I throw away rotten/wasted/moldy vegetables in the ground and the chickens go there and eat some things. They have their balanced food but still go for the rotten vegetables. I'm worried it could harm their health. That vegetables get very rotten. I put them on the ground for recycling.
Is it unsafe?

Probably fine.

Chickens naturally eat bits of many kinds of things, and they're pretty good at choosing what's OK.

Since you say they have plenty of appropriate chicken food, I know they are not starving--so I think it's safe to trust their judgement.

Hasn't hurt my birds. They get all the old garden stuff and scraps. Just gave them 2 cantaloupes that had gotten soft and they were tearing them up when I left.

Probably fine.

Chickens naturally eat bits of many kinds of things, and they're pretty good at choosing what's OK.

Since you say they have plenty of appropriate chicken food, I know they are not starving--so I think it's safe to trust their judgement.
I agree! My mother gave lots of different things to our chickens growing up, and none ever hurt them. The chickens would even avoid things bad for them, such as the citrus fruits we later found out were bad for chickens, they avoided them on their own!

Generally they will eat what they know that can eat and compost the rest by digging in it if you always put it in the same area. As mentioned above chickens are normally pretty good at determining what they can and cant eat

Back
Top Bottom