is it safe to add these eggs

horsejody

Squeaky Wheel
11 Years
Feb 11, 2008
Waterloo, Nebraska
I asked this under another post, but got no reply.

I candled last night and had to toss 5 eggs. Three showed no development, one was just a blood ring and one had a baby that had stopped developing at about 6 or 7 days. I am now down to 6 jersey giant eggs and 1 mixed breed.

I have 15 eggs that should go into th incubator tonight. My second incubator (with no turner) has been on for two days. I have been unable to stabilize its temperature. I am close but not quite there yet. Is it safe to put the new eggs in with the old? Since they will be at room temperature when they go in, will they drop the temp too much in the incubator? If it is safe, I will put them all together and when day 18 comes around for the first set I will move them to the second incubator. It should be stabilized by then (or I will have made or bought a new one).

I add eggs along the way. As long as you have a place to move the older ones out when you get to day 18 you should be ok. I usually set the carton of eggs I'm going to add on the top of the incubator that I'm adding them too. That way I figure they're closer to being the same temp as the incubator when I put them in since the top they're setting on is warmer than the room. I also usually cover them lightly with a towel to help with the warm up. It still lowers the temp some, but I figure they cool some when the hen gets off during the day anyway.

Do you have any jars of water or anything else acting as a heat sink in the bator you are trying to get going.
An empty incubator can be much harder to stabilize than a full one.

Back
Top Bottom