1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

IS IT SAFE TO EAT EGGS WHILE DEWORMING????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Karenbear, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Karenbear

Karenbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2015
    Rocky Mount NC
    I am using Amprol to deworm my chickens. I had one chicken die and there was blood in the stool...she was fine the day before laid a egg and everything. She seemed to be fine. Went back out the next day and she was laying dead in the run. I noticed 4 piles of bloody stools, my guess was she had coccidoisis so I am now treating all my chickens. Question is I am using one teaspoon of Amprol in the water for 3 days....is it safe to eat the eggs? I have been tring to find answers and I have seen some that say it is safe and other say to discard the eggs, If I cant eat them is it ok to put them in the incubator? Dont want to waste them. THanks

2. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    If you are worming, I wouldn't eat the eggs. It depends on which treatment you are using but they are usually inedible.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    It all depends on the medicine and dosage. It's strange that you can't find any info from the manufacturer.

There's probably no harm in putting the eggs in an incubator - nothing to lose.

Ct

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by