Is it safe to have a brahma with a silkie bantam?

anniemarie01

Chirping
May 15, 2020
Hi! I love having a diverse flock and want to add some more variety. I hope to get 7 day old chicks to be raised by by broody hen: 2 salmon faverolle, 1 prairie bluebell egger, 1 gold laced wyandotte, 1 appenzeller spitzhauben, 1 silkie bantam, and 1 dark brahma in the middle of may. I currently have a (I believe Chantecler rooster), buff orpington (1), white leghorn (1), barred rock (1), easter egger (3), columbian wyandotte (1), and Maran (2). However, I'm not sure if it would be safe to have a brahma and a bantam together due to the high size difference. Has anyone had these breeds in the same coop before? I'm not worried about the rooster hurting the bantam because he is very small (smaller than the hens).

Hundreds of thousands of people of mixed breed flocks, unless the rooster is the brahma, I wouldn't worry. But do have lower or walk up roosts, silkies can't fly.
No the rooster isn't the brahma haha. I have 8 nesting boxes stacked on top of each other (4 on bottom, 4 on top).

I wouldn’t recommend it although it could just be because I had a bad experience because a few years ago I had a mixed flock of seven birds with my very dominant buff Brahma hen at the top of the pecking order and she killed my bantam silkie and almost killed my Orpington kinda glad I don’t have that bird anymore

I know this is an older post, but I have a dominant brahma hen that fluxes between the top and second to the top of the pecking order. I recently integrated multiple bantam chicks and 2 standard chicks (EE and barred rock) into my existing flock and didn’t have any issues with the brahma. I did, ironically, have some squabbling between the silkie cockerel (that was part of that little flock) and the 2 standard chicks but it resolved itself without any issues. Now, even though the 2 standards are more than twice the size of the banties, they still stick together and have formed their own flock. A few of the smaller bantams actually slip under the EE’s wings at night and snuggle in with her. And I’d actually say that the standard pullets are lower than some of the banties in their little pecking order. They are all obviously lowest with the main flock.

Back
Top Bottom