Is it safe to keep two hurt/sick chickens together?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pecky, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Pecky

Pecky Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    Wanup, Canada
    One of my chickens was attacked by a dog, and we have been keeping her in the shed away from the other chickens to keep them from hurting her more.
    Today the dog attacked another one of my chickens, and I was wondering if it is okay to keep the two chickens together?

We separated the first chicken from the other chickens because they were all pecking her sore spot, but if we put two hurt chickens together will they both peck each other or is it safe?

:|

2. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    You can try it. They might be so absorbed with their own issues they won't bother the other one. But it would be nice for them to have company.
    Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Joy1

Joy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Lancashire,England
    Watch over them and gage the situation I would advise.

4. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    I had two chickens, a hen and a rooster, who both had a really bad case of pneumonia. While I was treating them I kept them together in the quarantine cage, which is about 3 *3 and was amazed how they acted. The hen and rooster have been mates for life and she actually seemed to be very concerned for him as he was alot sicker than she was. I say put them together, maybe they will keep each other going. I really think that had I separated these two that he would have died.

5. cath

cath Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    South Wales, UK
    I would try and keep them together to keep each other company, as in the past when I have seperated a sick chicken from my others sometimes they get lonely and depressed and I find that this causes them to take longer to recover. They both have the same problem and its not contageous so give it a try, but obviously, if they are bothering one another seperate them, but try and keep them so they can see each other. Good luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by