Is it safe to put live Darkling Beetles in Coop and ok for Chicks to eat them?

Tumbleweed Farm

Songster
11 Years
Jun 17, 2011
Benton City, WA
I am pretty darn sure they can eat what they catch (they are fast) My concern is that the escapees will either nest in the coop or worse, make their way into my house--especially the pantry. I have way way too many beetles.

I am paranoid about this as a couple of weeks ago I had a brooder in the house--fed the chicks some mealworms and must have accidentely gotten a pupae in there, or a worm escaped and pupated. I found 2 darkling beetles on my carpet--I moved chicks to coop--no treats in the house!

Darkling beetles are the mature form of mealworms. Darkling beetles and mealworms are a serous pest in commercial chicken houses. Both darkling beetles and mealworms transmit bacteria, virus, and parasites to chickens. The mealworms also have the added benefit of destroying structures made from natural wood as well those structures insulated with manmade materials.

The only caveat or exception to any of this whether or not the mealworms or darkling beetles have been exposed to any "infected" or "infested" chicken excrement before they were consumed by a chicken.

Last edited:
Darkling beetles are the mature form of mealworms. Darkling beetles and mealworms are a serous pest in commercial chicken houses. Both darkling beetles and mealworms transmit bacteria, virus, and parasites to chickens. The mealworms also have the added benefit of destroying structures made from natural wood as well those structures insulated with manmade materials.

The only caveat or exception to any of this whether or not the mealworms or darkling beetles have been exposed to any "infected" or "infested" chicken excrement before they were consumed by a chicken.
I've had a mealworm farm for 3 months now--I bought mealworms from Rainbow mealworms--I got 6,000. They are in a 20 gallon glass aquarium kept in my guest bathroom tub (curtain closed--not in view). Many many folks here on BYC are raising them for their chooks--you say it's not safe for them to eat them.

They gross me out so much--I don't think its probably worth keeping them as a treat--especially if they can sicken chickens.

What would be the best way to destroy them?

Give them to me. Or put an add on craigslist & sell them. Home raised mealworms are an excellent treat and protein for chickens and reptiles.

Give them to me. Or put an add on craigslist & sell them. Home raised mealworms are an excellent treat and protein for chickens and reptiles.
PMd you!
smile.png

Quote:
Don't believe everything you read on the internet. The Tenebrio molitor that you've been raising are not a serious pest in chicken houses. They are perfectly safe to feed to your chickens.
Yeah, would have thought we'd know by now if not safe. My question is--can baby chicks eat the beetles? I have way too many. Can I feed in coop? I just don't want escapees (mealworms and beetles) forming a colony in my coop or worse coming in my house! So 1. beetles ok to eat 2. could colony start in coop? You're the best! Thank you!

If your chicks are on the ground and have access to grit, the beetles will be fine for them. I wouldn't give too many though. It would be extremely unlikely that a colony would form in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom