Is it safe to use DE inside a coop?

Rbrown369

Songster
Dec 21, 2019
Vancouver island. Bc. Canada.
I know people are split between DE being safe or not, I’ve never used it but I have a bad lice/mite problem and I’ve sprayed the coop with dr doom and it didn’t work, I’m going to try again and do 2-4 treatments weekly but I built a dust bath inside the coop for them, I was going to use sand and wood stove ash. Would DE be safe inside coop there’s ventilation but it is still be a pretty enclosed space. Thanks!

DE isn't going to help at all, and you may cause respiratory irritation in your birds. I would not use it in the coop or out. In the US we use most commonly products that contain permethrin, both sprays and dusts to treat the birds and the coop. Spray tends to get in the nooks and crannies of the coop better. Elector PSP also works very well, but is much more expensive. Not sure what products you can get there, and am not familiar with Dr. Doom. In general you have to treat both the birds and the coop at least 3 times at weekly intervals, remove and replace all bedding and nesting materials each time (bag it up well or burn it). The chemicals kill the bugs, but don't kill the eggs, so the repeat treatments are necessary to get the ones that continue to hatch, so you kill them before they have time to lay more eggs. Otherwise, they will just keep coming back.
Good dustbathing areas are very helpful in prevention, I mix wood ash into my dustbath areas, just make sure it's only plain wood ash with no chemicals from paint or treatments to lumber, or other materials that could be toxic.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

DE isn't going to help at all, and you may cause respiratory irritation in your birds. I would not use it in the coop or out. In the US we use most commonly products that contain permethrin, both sprays and dusts to treat the birds and the coop. Spray tends to get in the nooks and crannies of the coop better. Elector PSP also works very well, but is much more expensive. Not sure what products you can get there, and am not familiar with Dr. Doom. In general you have to treat both the birds and the coop at least 3 times at weekly intervals, remove and replace all bedding and nesting materials each time (bag it up well or burn it). The chemicals kill the bugs, but don't kill the eggs, so the repeat treatments are necessary to get the ones that continue to hatch, so you kill them before they have time to lay more eggs. Otherwise, they will just keep coming back.
Good dustbathing areas are very helpful in prevention, I mix wood ash into my dustbath areas, just make sure it's only plain wood ash with no chemicals from paint or treatments to lumber, or other materials that could be toxic.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/
Dr doom is permythrin

In the US we have 10% permethrin concentrates that you mix with water to make the correct dilution, much less expensive and goes a long way (there are quite a few brands) and poultry dust containing permethrin that you can use on the birds.
I can get bedding for much less also, a bail of pine shavings is less than $10, and I always have hay scraps because I have large animals. I also use pine straw (from my pines), leaves in the fall I rake up, grass clippings from mowing after they have dried out. Maybe you can find some sources for bedding that are less expensive, or even free depending on where you are. Sometimes things are literally thrown away as trash that you might be able to pick up and use.

Everything’s way more in Canada unfortunately. We have poultry dust I’m going to buy tomorow, 20$ CAD I haven’t been able find any 10% permithryn the stuff I get is .50% in spray but it only does one full treatment. 44$ CAD uhg

In the US we have 10% permethrin concentrates that you mix with water to make the correct dilution, much less expensive and goes a long way (there are quite a few brands) and poultry dust containing permethrin that you can use on the birds.
I can get bedding for much less also, a bail of pine shavings is less than $10, and I always have hay scraps because I have large animals. I also use pine straw (from my pines), leaves in the fall I rake up, grass clippings from mowing after they have dried out. Maybe you can find some sources for bedding that are less expensive, or even free depending on where you are. Sometimes things are literally thrown away as trash that you might be able to pick up and use.
I think I tracked down some 10% it’s from US so we’ll see if I can order it. Shipping is like 50 but it would still be cheaper

Have you tried looking for permethrin in bulk, like to be used in houses and stuff?
Not for chickens, in other words.
Thats the only way I can get it in Australia, but I have no idea if you can in Canada.

Have you tried looking for permethrin in bulk, like to be used in houses and stuff?
Not for chickens, in other words.
Thats the only way I can get it in Australia, but I have no idea if you can in Canada.
I’ve never been able to find anywhere that will ship here up until now, last night I found a US company that will, it’s the 10% gallon jug you dilute it was 130$ cad to order it here but it should make like 20x more stuff than the can I was buying for 45$ cad hopefully!

Back
Top Bottom