Is it safe yet?

Chickens4Life101

Songster
Apr 30, 2018
Around this time of year, the coyotes and foxes feast on our chickens, so we always put them in our barn for safety. Our birds have been in the barn for about 3 or 4 weeks now, and we haven't heard the coyotes in a while. We just don't want to let them out again, and then they all get eaten the next day. (The reason why we can't just keep them in the barn year-round is because it isn't a very large space, and they have no access to grass and sunlight, and they are unhappy. It is also a pain to check on them/collect eggs because they all try to escape) So, do you think it is safe for us to let our chickens back out to their normal coop and let them free-range?

I agree with @chrissynemetz ... for now, see if you can put together a safe run for them to free-range in but always be vigilant while they are in their run. I wouldn't walk away - I would stay by them (act like you're their rooster) during the short period of time they are out. I carry a long, metal rake with me when I do this just in case. Anyway, it is spring and land and aerial predators are on the hunt, mating, building nests, etc. If you do make a portable run for them to free-range, be VERY vigilant...don't leave them.

Well, predators in SD really don't take days off, or even seasons off. And pups are going to be being born soon, so that will increase the need to hunt. And once predators find you, they come back. They keep a close eye on opportunity.

A good run is very important as there are just times you cannot free range. Sometimes they have fencing supplies on craigslist. Sometime dog kennels can be gotten there.

I do think it is important for chickens to have fresh air and sunlight everyday. I think you really need a run.

Mrs K

I have boatloads of predators here as well. I tried free ranging guineas years ago. Within 3 days, all were lost but 1. Thankfully I was able to wrangle her in. She never free ranged again. I love the idea of free ranging and wish it were a possibility. Sometimes it's just not though. I don't know what your area is like outside of busy coyote season, but I would seriously consider a secure run. You'll sleep better and so will your birds. ❤

Back
Top Bottom