1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it still good?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by elizabethbinary, Jan 9, 2011.

1. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    My husband and I actually ran into a small problem when butchering our birds last night - a few of them died of shock on the way! Some were big ones so I told my husband to just start the job now, bleed them out as much as possible and get them gutted and brine them overnight. He's suspect on the whole thing but that's exactly what we did. Now he's worried that the adrenaline made a tough meat - and I'm thinking brining helped that.

Is the meat from a bird that died of shock about ten minutes before it was drained still good? I would assume it might just be tougher... not necessarially 'bad', right?

2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi Elizabethbinary,

the meat won't be bad. Blood goes off quicker then flesh (that's why we bleed animals during slaughter), so be careful with storage.

Unless the birds were being chased around, it won't be tougher than other meat. Just rest it for at least 24 hours before cooking. I would probably cut them into pieces and rinse before cooking. But my last broiler (dispatched at 19 weeks) didn't bleed out properly either, as his heart gave out almost immediately. I don't think it's any big deal.

regards
    Erica

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    still good. no problem. tough will come from not resting the meat long enough though.

4. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I kashered them so there shouldn't be any blood. YAY still good! Thanks everyone!!!

5. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:What is kashered?

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    salting to remove excess blood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by