Is it still good?

elizabethbinary

Songster
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
My husband and I actually ran into a small problem when butchering our birds last night - a few of them died of shock on the way! Some were big ones so I told my husband to just start the job now, bleed them out as much as possible and get them gutted and brine them overnight. He's suspect on the whole thing but that's exactly what we did. Now he's worried that the adrenaline made a tough meat - and I'm thinking brining helped that.

Is the meat from a bird that died of shock about ten minutes before it was drained still good? I would assume it might just be tougher... not necessarially 'bad', right?

Hi Elizabethbinary,

the meat won't be bad. Blood goes off quicker then flesh (that's why we bleed animals during slaughter), so be careful with storage.

Unless the birds were being chased around, it won't be tougher than other meat. Just rest it for at least 24 hours before cooking. I would probably cut them into pieces and rinse before cooking. But my last broiler (dispatched at 19 weeks) didn't bleed out properly either, as his heart gave out almost immediately. I don't think it's any big deal.

regards
Erica

Back
Top Bottom