Is it time for nest boxes?

brounii

Songster
13 Years
Aug 16, 2010
Jonesborough, TN
Hi fellow BYC'ers
frow.gif

We have 8, 15 week old Plymouth Barred Rock, pullets and want to know when we should add our nest boxes into the equation. We've left them out of the coop for now so they wouldn't sleep in them, but want them to get used to them before they are ready to lay. You know how "CHICKEN"
hide.gif
chickens can be, lol.

If we do add them now, should be put them in facing the correct way, or turn them around so they still can't get into them but give them time to get used to something new in their environment?

Here are what ours look like. Keep in mind we still need to cut a circle out of the backs of each one so that we can reach in from outside the coop to get the eggs.

Any help would be appreciated.
idunno.gif

65588_img_1502.jpg

65588_img_1501.jpg

You should allow them to get in them so that they will think of the boxes as a safe place to lay there eggs. If you wait until after they begin laying, you may have them laying in other places.

We use those same bins; they're great. Found them at Lowes or Home Depot for $8 each. I would put the bins in your coop now, with some pine shavings in the bottom of each. Just ensure that your nest bins are lower than the roost and your chickens won't sleep in them.

Just like cynanthus said, we got our bins ar Lowe's for $7.90 each. When I saw them, I knew they'd be perfect. Dark, easy to clean, and large lip on front to keep shavings and eggs in. So much easier than building too, lol.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom