is it to cold for leghorns

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickengr, Jan 23, 2015.

1. chickengr

chickengr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    hi, I have ordered two leghorns (white and brown). they are between 22 and 26 weeks old. should arrive next week. but the forecast says that the temperature will be 30 (night) - 55 (day). is it too cold for these birds?

my chicken stay in coop at night time and free range all day long. at daytime they go back to coop only if it is raining and too windy. I have already introduced 2 new birds and although they tend to go sleep earlier they never enter the coop unless the cockerel comes with them. and he does that only an hour earlier then the others. so they complain for about half an hour before the cockerel understands what is going on. I guess that the new leghorns will want to stay with the rest of flock as well and I am concerned about cold weather.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Cold weather? Not until it's below 0*F! The large floppy combs of leghorns make them a bit more prone to frostbite. I won't have them in my flock, and keep rose combed leghorns instead, but your temps are to be envied!

3. chickengr

chickengr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    thank you for the answer.

I live in greece, we do have sometimes frost at night but not inside the coop. by the time I let my chicken out frost will be gone. [​IMG] this is our winter dust bath!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by