is it to early to buy chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by riley, Nov 30, 2008.

1. riley

riley Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Mooers, NY
    I live in northern New York, and I was wondering if it was to early to buy chicks

2. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    [​IMG]

It would depend on where you are going to set up their brooder and the weather. If you can keep them protected from the winter, then there wouldn't be a bad time for you. For me, personally, I have to brood them in the house and I'm only good for 2, max 3 months before they get booted out. In my mild climate that doesn't matter so much, but it will in northern NY. Many of the larger hatcheries won't start shipping again until Feb so that will give you plenty of time to get ready! What kind of chickies are you going to get?

3. riley

riley Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Mooers, NY
    I am planning to get rhode island reds. I will also be brooding in my house, but I dont know how long I can keep them inside I not sure how fast they grow. I want to get 12 hens and a rooster

4. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Yeah, unless you want to keep them inside for awhile, I'd wait until the spring!

5. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    [​IMG]
    12 hens and one rooster will be a lot to keep in the house. They actually grow quite quickly. You can acclimate them to the cold weather each day. starting with a few minutes at a time, adding more minutes each day.
    Good luck, have fun! [​IMG]
    Here is a link to pictures of my rhode island reds

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=69289

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    They'll grow quickly and in a house sealed up for winter the smell will get strong.
    Spring is the best time to get chicks. They can go outside quicker (mine were never in the house, period!) and the selection from the hatcheries will be much better.

7. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Even here in Hawaii, it gets hard to find chicks from any source come November. Plus, heating a brooder/hover for 8 weeks or more gets expensive. I say wait.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by