is it to late to go broody

mamato3

Songster
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
SWMissouri
i got a hen that is sitting tight in the nest box i would love to let her hatch out a few babies but would it be to late in the year to let her be broody i worry about the cold night and the first frost. If she does stay setting you may see me asking for some eggs locally. Just so my kids could watch a mama hen at work

It's a little late, yes. The main question to ask is whether they would be feathered out before the really bad weather hits.

I know how you feel, because right now I've got a hen with week-olds, a hen with brand new babies, and a hen on eggs. I also have yet another hen who seems to be going clucky as of today, and I'm pondering whether to set her or not too. I guess I have to think what will it be like for them to be so young in November....

Its never too late to have one go broody, my Amerucana decided to go broody at christmas last year, I gave up after a week and let her sit on a dozen eggs, 11/12 hatched, and all grew up to find new homes, they were about old enough to start laying when everyone else was getting day olds. So there are advantages of letting her sit, you may have to provide extra heat for her and the babies, depends how severe the weather is.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

I agree..mine go broody pretty much all year long. As long as they're in a secure shelter that is draft free, mama and babies should be just fine.

Jody

Sure, they're not going to freeze, although things aren't as peachy as in warmer weather either. But when they are weaned but still young, the weather here in winter seems to be rough on them. I don't like to see them looking chilly, so I then have the burden of providing additional heat. I've done that before too, but it is more of a hassle.

Last edited:
How local are you I can give you a few bantam mix eggs from mine.The ones I have in the bator now from my white cochin hen and black tailed jap are showing veins.I get one every/other day.

Quote:
I live outside the joplin area i would love to have a few if you dont mind. But i think were to fare apart.

Well i checked on her and took the eggs from her she is one mean broody hen. The only place i thought about putting her is where the 4 week old chicks are i have an old rabbit cage and some plywood i might try to put something together tomorrow night. does she need to be outside? The area i thought about wont have access outside since ill have to go thought the chicks coop to get to her just i small 7 foot by 2 foot area inside. Ive got a portable coop that i can try to modify to make warm if she hatches some chicks out for her to have some outside time. Im sure a tarp all the way around the encloser will work

I have had hens go broody outside with snow on the ground. They would go under an old truck, in a dog house or just under some old planks leaning on the barn. At times like that you will see how all the chickens work together to keep the chicks warm and dry. One roo even set a nest for awhile. It may not be the ideal time, but if it works for them, it works for me.

Back
Top Bottom