Is it too early for my Frizzle to be laying?

Alexc844

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2015
I got a batch of chicks from my local Wilco in late March of this year. A frizzle, a Sultan and an Americauna. When I was cleaning their enclosure, I noticed a tiny egg. I know it has to belong to the Frizzle. If my math is right, she can't be more than 4 1/2 months old. Is it odd that she was able to lay this soon?

I got a batch of chicks from my local Wilco in late March of this year.  A frizzle, a Sultan and an Americauna.  When I was cleaning their enclosure, I noticed a tiny egg. I know it has to belong to the Frizzle.  If my math is right, she can't be more than 4 1/2 months old.  Is it odd that she was able to lay this soon?

Frizzle is a type of feathering, not a breed. What breed is she? My serama/Japanese bantams normally start laying between 4 and 5 months of age.

Frizzle Serama.

This hen is now a grandmother. She was a year old May 1st. Her grandchicks hatched a few weeks before May 1st.

[

Last edited:
I honestly have no idea. Wilco just had her labeled Frizzle. She is a bantam breed, from what I can tell. The picture I posted is the most recent one I have of her. Whatever she is, she is small.

From what I can find online, she looks the most similar to a Cochin, but, from Wilco, who knows
roll.png

Many of the bantam breeds mature early. 4 1/2 months to lay is not unusual.

That is good to know, thank you! All of my other chickens took much longer to start laying, so my husband and I were pretty baffled by last nights discovery!

As Alex said, it is a special gene causing the feathers to curl backward, not a breed. Any breed can be crossed with a frizzled bird and kick out frizzled kids.
One parent will be a frizzle (of any breed) and the other parent (of any breed) won't. Both parents can't be frizzled.
So the egg is likely from her. And for your purposes, that's what counts.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom