Is it too early to candle?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by buckaroo's wife, Mar 1, 2011.

1. buckaroo's wife

buckaroo's wife Songster

Dec 10, 2009
    North Central Texas
    I set eggs on Saturday night at 8pm. Now it's just past 72 hours and I want to see something! I "test candled" a few and I'm starting to see veins....in some it seems like the yolk is moving around as I turn the egg?? Is that OK? This is my first time incubating anything. [​IMG]

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Sorry I can't be much help as I only candle twice. I candle at 11 days and again when I put them in the hatcher at 18 days. [​IMG]
    I've got really bad eyesight and just can't see much before at least a week.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap

buckaroo's wife :

I set eggs on Saturday night at 8pm. Now it's just past 72 hours and I want to see something! I "test candled" a few and I'm starting to see veins....in some it seems like the yolk is moving around as I turn the egg?? Is that OK? This is my first time incubating anything. [​IMG]

That is good news. Now to save yourself some trouble, only candle on day 10 and lockdown. It saves alot of worry.​

4. buckaroo's wife

buckaroo's wife Songster

Dec 10, 2009
    North Central Texas
    Quote:That is good news. Now to save yourself some trouble, only candle on day 10 and lockdown. It saves alot of worry.

Ok [​IMG] I'll try. Patience has never been my thing!! [​IMG]

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap

buckaroo's wife :

Quote:That is good news. Now to save yourself some trouble, only candle on day 10 and lockdown. It saves alot of worry.

Ok [​IMG] I'll try. Patience has never been my thing!! [​IMG]

Mine either truth be told. But I learned over time, candle when it matters and save yourself the heartache. Earlier than day 10 is really iffy and just gives you heartburn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: