Is it too Early to Give Him Up?

Trailchick,

That makes me feel so much better! Thank you for your supportive comments!

Clare

Quote:
Clare, raccoons are everywhere, even in cities. They are nocturnal so she may not see them, but they are there.
smile.png
Best wishes with your rooster dilemma. It's so hard to rehome a rooster you've become attached to-I've had to do it and it hurts, but sometimes, it's for the best.

The big dogs who are near the chickens should help scare off any predators. They are nice, loud dogs. Very protective.

The woman who is adopting Good Guy works out of her home and is home all day long to keep an eye on things. That is a comfort to me. I think I'll add to her sheet of helpful info a link to this group, in case she has any questions.

That really does help, that she's home. My DH and I are retired, so home all day. Haven't had a predator loss in the entire six years of owning chickens since the coops are as predator proof as they can get, other than against bears--bears go anywhere they like, LOL.

The ground is snow-covered today and there is a snow mist coming down and it's below freezing, so after cleaning off the car, I called the adopter and asked whether she'd like me to wait until the snow has melted to bring him over, and she said yes, that her hens are hiding under the deck. So I'll have my boy a bit longer. Yippee.

She thinks it will be fine to dump him in with her hens if we are there to carefully watch him interact. Do you think that is okay? I don't have a crate to introduce him to them in, and she doesn't have a fence barrier.

I just now found out from my SO that they put up the big fence because their fence had been tagged, and they got the big dogs to raise a ruckus if the taggers come around. One is a German Shepherd, and the other is an Australian Shepher. Since they put up the fence and got the dog, no taggers have come around, although taggers have tagged the neighbors' fences. I didn't know this until now.

It's to get down to 16 F tomorrow night here, so I'm glad he'll have his snuggle mates a bit longer. The feed store told me chicks are considered frail until 16 weeks old, and he turns 15 weeks old on Tuesday.

She seemed pleased to learn that Rooster Booster has calendula in it. She grows marigolds as a natural pesticide in her garden. She said it is fine if I bring grower food for him, as her girls switched over to layer food a month ago.

I told her what the likely egg colors of his offspring will be, and she seemed psyched.

Clare

Back
Top Bottom