Is it too hot?

Bill Paul

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 12, 2011
Southern Indiana
So here's the deal.
Our coop will be close enough to finished by tomorrow for our chicks to move in. They'll be 7 weeks old this Monday. The heat index here has been well over 100 for the last 2 weeks with no break in sight. They are really starting to get cramped up in the brooder, but I'm concerned that the heat may be to much of a shock for our little girls. Any suggestions?

Its been hot here too (yesterday with the heat index it was 115°
th.gif
). Where are you currently keeping them? If the brooder is in your air conditioned house, then you'd probably want to probably want to put them out at the coolest part of the day (early morning or at bedtime). As long as they have shade and plenty of fresh water (I've been putting frozen 2 liter bottles in my water pans), they should be fine. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply Nikki.
smile.png

Yes, they've been in the house, that's why I was a little concerned about sticking them in a hot coop. I got everything locked up tight today and I'm pretty sure it's all predator proof. It's a playhouse style so the run is covered and there is plenty of shade. I have several 2 liter bottles of water frozen, so I think we're ready. I'll take your advice and put them out this evening as the sun starts to set. It may be silly, but I'm so nervous! 7 weeks in and I'm extremely attached to these girls!!!!!
Thanks again!!!

It's time to transition them to warmer weather. Try moving them out in the early morning, but monitor them for stress. If they've become spoiled and accustomed to 78F indoor temps, give them a few days of transition and acclimation. They'll adjust. But if the coop and run is 110F heat index, that's too hot, even for a grown bird, really.
It would be a shock for any living being. Take it slow, they'll be fine. Shade, cool dirt to dig in, fans, and water, water, water.

welcome-byc.gif
I agree with the other posts. As long as they have shade and plenty of water. I have sprinklers I turn on during the hottest part of the day and the birds don't mind it at all. I also spray down the area in their shade with cool water. They love to get in the puddles.

Back
Top Bottom