Is it true different breeds hatch differently?

clarmayfarm

Songster
10 Years
Jan 5, 2010
Shenandoah Valley, VA
idunno.gif

I am very excited, 32 eggs and it is day 20, we have 7 pips.

I have Wheaten ameraucanas and giant cochins set - but, only the cochins have pipped.

Is this normal for different breeds to react or hatch at different times?

Thanks for your thoughts...

Foster

Thanks, Fredshens,

It would make sense, but I have never heard of this before.

In cattle, certain breeds calve at different times, and girls are almost always earlier than boys...anyway, I hope you are right and it is a breed thing!!!

th.gif

Loooking for more thoughts on this...Iam becoming really nervous.

The Ameraucanas are doing nothing, and the giant cochins are almost done,100% hatch.

Is there a breed or shipping difference in time of hatch?

Anyone?

Have you candled them recently? Perhaps they're duds?

In general breeds do not always hatch before or after others. My Ameraucanas or Marans are often last, but not always. In fact more recently they seem to be first to hatch.

I am no expert but I just hatched some out this weekend and 5 hatched the first day (21) and 6 hatched the evening of the second day.All are doing fine

What happened with your eggs? We have 14 eggs in the incubator. Most are pure Ameraucanas, but there are a couple eggs I put in there that are RIR/Ameraucana crosses. Those two are peeping (one so loud I can hear it in different rooms of the house!) and one has a crack in it at day 20. There is nothing from the blue eggs though. I am not worried yet since it is only day 20, but I was curious since it seems to be the RIR mixes that are hatching early.

I realize this is an old thread but I needed to read it so I'm sure someone else will down the road too. :) I have a big mix in my incubator. So far the beginning of day 20 and only the two polish have pipped. I finally found somewhere that said different breeds can hatch differently. One breed may tend to have a higher body temperature so that one may be ready to hatch a little sooner. So when different breeds are incubated the same, there will be slight variations. This is my first hatch, so maybe this will help someone else too who is sitting there biting their nails awaiting their little chickies. :)

Back
Top Bottom