Is it true that all chickens really need to eat is corn and supplements

Welcome Wagon.gif
Welcome to Backyard chickens!

I like to check out what Universities say about stuff like this. It is great that you are checking into it. I have attached a pdf with information on feeding urban chickens. This is a snip from it:

feeding chickens.JPG

Attachments

• feedingchickens.pdf
    296.3 KB · Views: 0
I wouldn't feed just corn, calcium and grit. In fact, when it's mixed in with other seeds and grains, corn tends to be one of my chickens' least favorite foods. Also, it really warms them up. I give them more corn in the winter to help them keep warm, but if I fed them exclusively corn in the summer here in Arizona, they'd overheat fast!.

Well I'll open this can of worms because there is so much confusion about corn. I agree with everything except this. Corn is commonly called a hot feed because it is a feed that packs more calories for conversion to energy than any other feed. It does not raise the body temperature of the chicken if they eat it during the summer nor does corn keep chickens warmer than other feeds in the winter. They will not go poof and self combust or have heat stroke

During the summer heat feed consumption can drop, egg laying can suffer and weight gain can reverse. Chickens become lethargic during the heat of the summer and don't visit the feeder as much. I live in NC Texas with a THI during July thru August. That's when I actually feed more corn or more accurately, corn chops. I've not had any mortality in July and August. Unlike whole corn which is too easy to find corn chops are about 2x +/- of large rice grains. Before I let them out to free range in the evening I'll throw several cups over the acre they run around in. It keeps the actively scratching around and actively eating their pellets.

Well I'll open this can of worms because there is so much confusion about corn. I agree with everything except this. Corn is commonly called a hot feed because it is a feed that packs more calories for conversion to energy than any other feed. It does not raise the body temperature of the chicken if they eat it during the summer nor does corn keep chickens warmer than other feeds in the winter. They will not go poof and self combust or have heat stroke

During the summer heat feed consumption can drop, egg laying can suffer and weight gain can reverse. Chickens become lethargic during the heat of the summer and don't visit the feeder as much. I live in NC Texas with a THI during July thru August. That's when I actually feed more corn or more accurately, corn chops. I've not had any mortality in July and August. Unlike whole corn which is too easy to find corn chops are about 2x +/- of large rice grains. Before I let them out to free range in the evening I'll throw several cups over the acre they run around in. It keeps the actively scratching around and actively eating their pellets.
Did your chickens that died in July and August die from the heat?

I focus on keeping mine cool and feed them layer feed year round. I do not give them scratch or grains at all.

I use a misting system on a timer, have shade screens over their run and coop and provide lots of cool water.

Last summer was the hottest on record for us here with temps over 110. I did not lose any chickens this summer

Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us:ya Feed is complicated. Like us they need a balanced diet with the right vitamins and minerals, amino acids, fats, protein and carbs. A good balanced feed is the best way to go. Pelitized or not brings about another debate. On one hand, if you feed a pellet, the chicken doesn't get a choice as everything is mixed together. If you feed non-pellet, then the birds can cherry pick what they like. Some subscribe to the theory that chickens know what they need and will instinctively go for those things. Others view them as children who will always go for the candy first. Personally, I'm somewhere in the middle.:confused:

Back
Top Bottom