Is it true that roosters get feathers slower?

beaglelover26

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
Hudson/New Port Richey
I have 8 straight run chicks 6 RIR and 2 Barred rocks. well one barred rock and one rir are not as feathered as the rest when they are the same age i know. wondered if this is a sign that they may be roosters... just out of curiousity

They do say, roosters feather in slower..but I have 1 black maran
Out of 4 wheaten marans and interesting, for some reason I think it's a rooster and yet it is the fastest to feather in..iam hoping it's a girl..but I have this feeling it's a rooster

So if the whole rooster feathers in slower...and the one I think is a roo and feathered in fasted, turns out to be a roo then that will all be a myth to me from now on

Good luck

Xoxo

To me it always seems my roos feather faster than any other? Maybe I just think that. Right now I have three roos out of 9 chicks that were easy to spot. They grew tail feathers, combs and feathered faster than the rest. They are aggressive and square off with every other chick in the brooder. They are only a month old but they are easy to spot it seems.

If it were always the case, people would be able to sex them a lot more often and not be wrong.
wink.png
I've got males here that feather in the same, faster, or slower. . . It can vary.

I have my first baby roo BR and he feathered rapidly on wings, perhaps ahead of girls, but not tail. That was noticeably behind the girls, several days slower, and set at a different angle when it did.

Back
Top Bottom