Is it true?

Definitely yes! Geese like routines and are smarter than ducks so if you teach them to go in at night they’ll be happy to. The only times they won’t want to is if there’s something in there like a snake, skunk, or whatever.
...or if the female has had enough of the gander's advances. Mine were trained... until adolescence. I can now tell by the look in their eyes whether or not bedtime is going to go smoothly. I can't wait for my gander to mellow out this upcoming season.

I can't wait for my gander to mellow out this upcoming season.

I've got two ganders that aren't a year old yet and they've become quite aggressive as of late - I heard the older they get the less grumpy they become; In your experience how long did it take for any of yours to grow out of being a jerk?

Geese really smart and can learn words. I started mine off at 3 days of age. every time I put them in there pen I used the word "home". When I needed the to quiet I used "inside voice" and said it quietly and with a deep tone. When the bit or pulled on my shoe laces they got a very sharp "NO" when the played and had fun "Good Job". Time to go to bed "Manana Tomorrow". So here is are routine now that they are adults. I wait for sunrise and open there door they all come out honking and bugling. they then flap there wings and I say good morning and off they go pretending to fly looking back at me for Good Job once they hear that they go off for there day. In the afternoon I get all there food and water taken care of in there house and they wait for there walk. we go for a short walk and then the word comes out home. In they go then they all come to the window talking to me at full pitch till I say Manana at this point they know it is for the night. Pick your words use them consistently for the same task and you would be surprised what they can learn and how they enjoy pleasing you.

I'm jealous about Beep Beep. Super cute. I can barely touch my geese. They definitely love me and follow me around. As far as the ganders mellowing out... I just got bit harder than ever by my dominant male(I didn't think they could bite they hard). The runt screamed and cried as it was occurring and my big goose got mad and attacked him because he was attacking me. So... I'm hoping next season will be better. I'm guessing he's just too young and fired up on hormones this time around.

My Gussie and Golly sounded like they were saying, "What, what," when they were babies. So, I started mimicking their "words." "What, what" came to mean food to them. So, if they don't immediately follow me to their house and pen, I just have to yell, "What, what" and they come running for dinner.

They also recognize that when I say, "Goose, goose," I'm talking to them, not those silly chickens or ducks. As I'm typing this, I'm wondering why I've felt the need to duplicate everything I say to them. Ah, well. It works.

Love how smart they are! If I say, "goose goose goose" only the geese come running, but everyone is trained to "hey hey" meaning food & "ah ah" to stop being naughty. Lemon has learned her name, but I'm pretty sure Bug thinks he is, "hey you!", I'll say that and he takes off running.

Back
Top Bottom