Is it true?

Crehan

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 13, 2011
Montgomery, AL
Hi everyone!

Is it true that there is a tipe of "pecking order" in a chicken flock?

Is there a leader in a flock?
Is there a dominant chicken etc. ?
smile.png

OMG - YES! There is a huge pecking order. It can shift slightly every once in awhile - the bottom girl seems to change the most, at least in my flock.

And, let me tell ya, they are not kind about establishing and maintaining the pecking order. They can be very sassy to eachother at times. But, they are critters and it is natural, so don't get in the way....unless blood gets drawn.

Yes there is a pecking order. Its usually lead by the alpha roo but if no roo is around a hen will head the flock

All true and yes and yes
smile.png

When you first put the chickens together, they will "argue" and peck a bit until the order is in place.
There will be a dominant, but not necessarily mean, rooster when it's all done.
Just keep an eye on them. If they draw blood, clean it up and seperate that chicken. Chickens will peck at blood.

Yes I've witnessed it amongst 8-9 wk old ckicks, one cockerel - Pecker" thought he was dominant, pesked open the neck of two other girl chicks, got banished to the broody hen cage and returned 5 days later to discover he's no longer in the upper ranks but at the bottom! Now we have peace amongst the chicks who are now 12 wks. And Pecker doesn't peck anymore!

sometimes pecking order is very evident, and sometimes the chickens are more laid back, and you really have to observe closely to know who's where.

At one point I was thinking that my hens all laid in pecking order sequence.... highest ranking chicken first.

In one run they are all buddies, in the other run, the top chicken seems to love to assert herself... Chicken breed and variety will have something to do with it too. It's one of the things about chickens that is facinating.

Last edited:
Hence the origination of the term "Pecking order"

They peck and fight to see who is at the top of the flock and on down the line to the very bottom. All "pack/herd/flock/group" animals live by these rules. It usually looks a lot worse than it really is, but it is also completely necessary. I try not to get too involved unless it really seems to be getting out of hand. But then again, what are they doing when we aren't looking.....???
hu.gif

Thanks guys, but I have a problem. my chicks are still young and I am gonna give away some of my roosters.

Will this upset the pecking order or will they adapt?

Back
Top Bottom