is it truely safe to take your bird to a fair?

ShaggysGirl

Songster
10 Years
May 24, 2009
Temperance, MI
My neighbor keeps telling me I should enter our birds in next years fair. But I don't think I like the idea of exposing them to any bugs.
When I used to breed parrots I was the same I wouldn't even go to the bird shows much less sell my babies there.
Am I being over paranoid?

It depends. Find out if there are any health requirements for entries. Do you have to be NPIP certified...or do they bleed birds at the show for those that aren't.

Personally, I would not enter my birds in any show that does not have, at minimum, the NPIP status. The NPIP rep. can observe all birds for any obvious signs of illness.

I think all birds should be required to be evaluated prior to entering the show area...but not too many shows do that. It would involve hiring a veterinarian or other qualified person.

Am I being over paranoid?

In my opinion yes.
I have shown birds for nearly 50 years w/o incident.
BTW NPIP blood tests for Pullorum/Typhoid only. Most shows will exclude a bird with obvious signs of illness if it's brought to the attention of the Show Surerintendant. I don't know of any that actually examine every bird coming into the show.​

Agree that most shows don't have any type of inspection, only what might be seen and reported. At the ABA national show last january a prominent breeder brought, showed and sold a bunch of sick birds. Many of us had our birds get sick as we were caged together.

Go ahead and bring your bird to a show, but BE WATCHFUL. I brought a Sebright trio to the county fair this year for 4-H and after four days of being home, my rooster got a respiratory infection. Most likely from being exposed to the other birds. Just because a bird doesn't look sick, doesn't mean it can't contract disease or parasites.

Quote:
Yikes!!!! I hope they caught that breeder and puished him!!
somad.gif

You also have to worry about birds being stolen. I've seen in the last year a few instances of show birds being stolen. See if you can put locks on the cages... it may mean you have to be there to unlock them during judging but after seeing some of the heartbreak caused by this.. it would be worth it to me.

Nancy

The rules say no diseased birds. I've seen birds be excluded for lice/mites and also for signs of illness. The year afer the END epidemic, at least some California shows examined birds before entry into the show area (about 1/2 mile before the building at the show I attended).

Any time you show you need to anticipate that your birds might have been exposed to something. Quarantine them when you bring them home; watch for signs of illlness Consider spraying their cages and tehm with oxine periodically during the show. As for parasites, many spray their birds before packing them up to take home.

There is just no way to be 100% safe and sure. Even well-looking birds can be carriers or sick with no symptoms. It is always a gamble. I seen one exhibitor this year use clear plexiglass dividers on her cages, BUT, the judge handles every bird and does NOT wash hands between them. The feeder person feeds every bird from the same vessel. Lots of folks touch the birds in the cages, and at our state fair this year, there was NO hand sanatizer near the birds, but there was some at the doors as you were leaving the areas, not handy at all. I think it is risky, but it IS fun and rewarding. So, hum. No real answer here. Just ramblings. HenZ

Back
Top Bottom