Is it worth getting this incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tomfieldenloveshichickens, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Tomfieldenloveshichickens

Tomfieldenloveshichickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Somerset, England
    Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a 9200 still air incubator( i think it's also called a little giant as well). Is it with buying? And if yes should I buy the automatic egg turner?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If you are getting a styrofoam bator, get a Genesis 1588 Hovabator.... nice bator.

3. Tomfieldenloveshichickens

Tomfieldenloveshichickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Somerset, England
    Thanks for that suggestion but the 9200 still air incubator is cheaper and I'm not going to hatch 40 eggs. Thanks anyway

4. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I like my LGs and have had great luck with hatching in them...they are a little trickier to use then others but they are cheap, readily available at tractor supply and hold lots of eggs. If you get one make sure to keep it in a room that does not change much in temp and once you get the temp right never touch it again....I also use 2 jars with lids full of water in mine...helps keep the temp more stable. I dont use turners myself, I prefer to be more hands on but they are great if you dont have the time to turn 40 eggs 3x a day.

5. joanie_maine

joanie_maine Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    Temple, ME
    Get the incubator with a Turbo fan.

The fan provides more even heat and dries the chicks out nicely after they hatch.

Get an egg turner too!

If you go with a still air and no turner, you'll realize later that you need another incubator with a turner and fan!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  6. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    Im using it right now. Its a pain to turn the eggs 3x a day so i suggest the turner. I hate adjusting the temp cause one little move and the temp gets 4* lower or higher. Its ridiculous. But some eggs are hatching right now ... so it works [​IMG]

7. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Quote:If your going to do that then go online to ebay and get the Hova-bator 1602 same thing but I think that the construction of it is way better it holds the humidity way better I own two 1602's and one LG 9200 I like the temp control on the 9200 better BUT....to me the humidity is a BIG deal...

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:No, in my opinion it is not worth getting. It may be cheaper, but the eggs I ended up throwing out from the one I used to have more than ate up any savings I may have had from the purchase price. I dropped kicked mine into the trash several years ago and now I have three 1588's and a 1590, the older version of the 1588 that I really like. I know there are people that like them, but I sure didn't have any luck all the time (several years) I struggled with mine.

You don't have to hatch 40 eggs at a time in the 1588...the 9200 holds the same number of eggs too in a turner.

9. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Getting a fan is key unless your house stays a stable temp.

One with no fan does this when the outside temp changes.
    [​IMG]

You can always put your own fan in it though.

10. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    The Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco is way to go ($99.99). It only handle 24 chicken eggs. I have LG and constantly require monitor. The temperature and humidity fluctuate too much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by