Is it worth it to keep guinea fowl?

I feel the same way about mine. I have 5 that were raised by a chicken in 2009. After she weaned them she was eaten by something. Now I have 4 of THEIR offspring that I incubated. They are about 2 months old and I haven't yet comingled them all but I think the older guineas know that these 4 are their babies! They hang out in the coop with them and I think talk guinea talk that they all understand. It'll be interesting when I let the little ones out - maybe at the end of this month - to free range with their parents.
smile.png

I say the same thing for every type of bird I sell, if you have to ask the questions then the answer is no. You should get birds that are a good match for your life style first then figure out the benefits of having them second. Guineas are no different if you want them get them to enjoy for what they are and not what they can do for you, because they wont ever be worth it in the long run if you don't enjoy guineas in the first place.

Quote:
The thing is Guineas are definitely the best eating of all domestic fowl turkey being equal (only heritage home grown turkeys though)

I take Guinea meat over pheasant meat everytime.

And Guineas are much easier to hatch, raise and cheaper to keep than pheasants.

I raised and ate both.

Guineas win hands down.

French chefs would kill for Guinea meat.

I do not eat chickens anymore, Quail, chuckars and guineas only (duck on occasion to break the monotony).

Really! I'm surprised that it isn't served more then......you hear about "pheasant under glass" but I've never heard of anyone having guinea for dinner.

I don't mean to keep asking questions, you guys are so helpful....but what about guinea meat is so good....the flavor, the texture? We have muscovy duck and the meat is delicious....how would you compare it to duck?

The only time I have eaten one of my guineas is when she got hit by a car and was wounded. I butchered her and we had it for dinner. (dont tell anyone that I ate road kill...well, she wasnt really killed!) Anyhow, the meat was all dark and delicious! If I ever succeed at raising some extras I will definitely butcher more of them. Not comparable to duck though. Not as greasy. Just a very mellow flavor--I have never had pheasant so I cant compare to that. It is like the comparison of goat meat to beef I guess. You just have to try it!

When I was without guineas for a little bit my dogs all had ticks on them. If you have guineas you can say goodbye to ticks! They seem to relish them! Another problem others in my area have had is potato bugs and rose beetles...none on my farm! I love to watch them run around the fields...I will have to try the tip about using the turkeys to lure them into a safe place to roost...not much time left for the turkeys to teach them....Terri O

:DSometimes I ask myself the same thing are they worth keeping ,but yes they are goodfor meat.eggs are a little tough.They are good watch dogs for chicken hawks if they see one they will let your other chickens know.but if you live near a hiway they love to flag semis mostly they lose that plan but if you have alot of land they are a great addition.

Back
Top Bottom