Is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stormhorse23

Songster
12 Years
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
My mare is 17, swaybacked, and will do anything for me. She has jumped 3 1/2 feet (around there), an accomplished barrel racer, and really tough.

BUT

She can't possibly be ridden anymore without all boots and bell boots on because she trips over herself. She doesn't move pretty. She has a trot likely to chip a tooth. Shes overweight and has always been no matter what she eats. Shes mostly blind. She is missing a tendon in her front leg (forgot which one) and can't flex it. She kicks other horses...

So is it even worth it to keep trying? I am afraid every time we jump or go over a barrel that she'll fall and it'll be the last time. Will she ever be able to compete with real horses? From what a lot of you have seen, as far a videos and pictures go, is she hopeless? Today she was great at 2 1/2 feet because I had a friend with me who had never ridden and she was on another horse and I couldn't focus like I should have. Anyway, I just need a few opinions. It's hard to walk into a class and notice the judge isn't even paying attention because your horse's confirmation is all off or the rider has to cue her before every jump because she can't see it.

Sorry if I'm whining. It's just hard to see our two younger horses getting better and better. Stormy's best year of her life was last year. Now it all seems out of reach.

From what you said, she sound like a great mare, but I honestly wouldn't push her. Although our horses are competition horses, we also see them as our "pets" and to us, their actual health and soundness is more important to us than their "incomes."

I'm a bit confused by what you are asking about... if it's jumping your blind mare with no tendon, I'd say no. I know blind horses who trust their riders can still come to amount so much, but not having a tendon is what's making me say no...it's just matter of time until she develops severe arthritis or worse... I wouldn't do anything that would potentially stress her to that point.

I'd find a different discipline.

or just retire her all together... she sounds potentially dangerous to ride. :|

Last edited:
I'd find a different discipline.

Well, I think I've discovered them all! She does everything. It's just hard to think I only have a few more years of being able to ride. It's my favorite thing in the world and it's almost over.
hmm.png

I will be very honest and say without a tendon she probably shouldn't have every been jumped. JMO. At age 17 she's given to you what she's got and then some. It's her time to be a horse, not a joy ride.

JMO

Is it possible that you can lease or ride another horse for jumping and maybe just do flat work with your mare?

I know what you me though, my AQH mare knows so many disciplines that she needs to consistently switch around or she'll get bored out of her skull....

I honestly would try to find another horse to jump though.

Out of curiosity... how blind is she and how does she not have a tendon?

a 17 yr old mare that stumbles is bad news.an she can no longer be ridden safely.if you keep riding her she will fall on you 1 day an hurt you bad.so for your safty an hers its best that you retire her.she has seen her last day as rideable horse.

Quote:
First eye was injured when she was a baby. poked it on a tree. Second she smacked on the side of the barn fighting with another horse (they usually get along). Her tendon issue is still a mystery. Went out to get her one day and her leg was ripped apart. I can't get another horse. I don't think I could handle it. After the tendon issue, the vet said she would be lucky to walk normally, so I guess she is lucky.

You are able to tell when a horse is sound, right? I am surprised that you have been jumping a mare that was deemed as most likely not able to walk 3.5ft

I completely understand where your coming from - about holding on to what you cherish most (jumping her), but those should just be memories not actions.... I really think it's time to let go. It's not fair to her - she's doing everything you ask just to please you, but it's not good for her and it's not safe for you.

I think you should retire her... make her more into a pet than a competition mount.

You don't have to buy a new horse...you can lease or possibly borrow a friend's horse to share at shows.

I'm sorry, I know that's something you do not want tot hear...but you have to really stop being so "selfish" in that matter of speaking and stop to think what is the smart thing to do and what is best for your mare - JMO.
sad.png

Last edited:
Yeah. I agree with a lot of what you guys said. We have to get down to two horses that WERE going to be Abby and Stormy...

I'm calling the vet tomorrow and the woman who works with us and our english to tell her my horse isnt going to be working anymore.

EDITED TO ADD- The vet will probably come check her out for me and i'll get an opinion from her too.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to agree with s6bee, I wouldn't be jumping your mare any longer. Jumping can be dicey for a young, fit horse with no underlying problems. Your mare is aged, unable to see, is not fit and has tripping/ leg issues, the odds are tipped in favor of a tragedy waiting to happen. You have a very special horse, all heart and trust. This puts you in the position of being soley responsible for her well being because she's going to do what you ask or die trying. I certainly do not mean to come off as harsh. I just can tell you from personal experience that if you push a horse that you know won't say no, you'll regret it. And by no means am I saying to never ride her again, she can still feel useful if you ride keeping her limitations in mind, familiar trails, slower pace and good footing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom