Is it worth the work to butcher your own chickens?

It is so worth it to me to raise and butcher our own meaties. This is our first year with raising chickens. He have butchered a total of 30 this year. We got 6 at a time raised them, butchered them and got 6 more. Butchered the last 6 last weekend. I do the killin, pluckin and my fiance does the guttin. Once the guttin is done, some I quarter and some we leave whole.
They taste so yummy!
droolin.gif

I really appreciate what I eat now. Do we save money? Probably not, but it is the satisfaction of being self sufficient that really counts and knowing what my birds eat. Our chickies free range everyday. The meaties free range somewhat but they don't like to venture too far from the food dish. They do love to lay in the woods and eat the grass by their coop.

I got my birds for eggs and their beautiful colors (feathers and eggs). I had someone drop off a few chickens that they couldn't keep for winter. It turns out that 2 of them are cornish crosses and the roo will go at the fence when my 2 yr old walks by. They are going to the freezer, but I've never butchered before and am having a hard time with the idea. I know the quality of my eggs is better than that of the store so i would say the same goes for the meat too. I still would rather someone else did the butchering though.

Quote:
I stopped eating store bought meat all together after learning how commercial meat is raised. I am a vegetarian until this Thanksgiving when we are processing our 2 meat ducks.

I think raising your own meat is definitely worth it! I imagine it will be hard the first time, but I used to work at a veterinarian clinic and helped with surgeries and euthanasia all the time. I know that chopping a head off a bird is more messy but in my opinion it is probably even more humane then euthanizing an animal. Many times dogs and cats have bad reactions to the drugs or their veins colaps and their deaths are anything but peaceful. At least when a chicken (or duck) is decapitated their death in nearly instantaneous.

First year raising birds. We've sold nearly 500. I couldn't imagine loading them into a car and hauling them to some commercial facility. We do 50 birds in less time than it would take to drive to a packer anyway. Our birds live in the yard, die by the driveway and unwanted parts compost behind the garage.

I have to admit that the first dozen or so were something of a problem for me. We had pre-sold so we just had to do it. Sharp knives and good cones make a huge difference.

Helps to think that the chicken wouldn't be alive at all if it wasn't so delicious.

Here some of the Amish will process for $2 a bird and they do it on a set day each month. I have 25 processed at a time, put them in a cooler and bring them home to filet the breasts off the bone, thighs, legs and wings seperate and the dogs eat the carcasses, liver, heart etc so there is absolutely no waste. (The dogs are fed a raw diet anyway). For me personally, I want fresh chicken but it would take me all day to process and clean up after so I think my time is worth the $50, but that's just me.

We are raising our first ever chickens, which we got for eggs, and garden help (fertilize, weed, insecticide etc...). We had absolutely no intention of processing our own chickens, then as I did more research and read more threads like this one I thought we'll find someone willing to process on the halves (which is basically where we stand for the moment) but as I read more and more I think maybe with a lot of help on the first ones I may be able to do it myself (not sure but maybe). But my husband is not on board w/ any involvement from him on any portion of the processing except the eating. He is not against me doing it (but doesn't think I will be able) haven't made up my mind if he really doesn't think I will or is trying to goad me into doing it yet.

I really enjoyed learning some of the tips especially the air hose one that sounds great, and his canning ideas too.

I have a question for those that put the remains in the compost, does it smell? How many can you put in at a time? Is there any other useful way to use the waste parts? I don't eat any organ meat at all w/o exception so that is out of the question.

Quote:
Whoa! It's your first year even RAISING chicken, and you've done 500 birds?? I've been doing it three years, and couldn't imagine getting close to that! I'd love to hear more about your operation! My first batch of 25 birds took four of us two days to process.

Back
Top Bottom