Is it wrong to isloate one chicken so the others can eat?

linben

Songster
9 Years
Apr 5, 2010
Austin, TX
The top hen won't let a couple of my hens eat. Atleast, not much. Yesterday I put her in the coop for a couple of hours to let them eat in peace. I don't want to mess with the pecking order but will that interfere too much? Thanks.

I do the same with mine.I have 5 teens that I lock into the shed for about 15 minutes to eat before I bring in the big girls for the night. If I bring out treats the big girls will run to whatever I toss next so I have to spread things out so the teens get a taste.Been doing this since I intergrated the 2 groups a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the input. I hadn't really thought of two feeders in the coop. I will do that. I was mostly noticing it when I gave treats in the yard. She is quite a bully.
smile.png

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

ETA: If you have the space and accomodations, isolate your bully for about a week. She'll likely be a changed bird when introduced back into the flock.

Last edited:
i use to feed my birds in seperate areas of the coop the young ones in the coop and the older girls in the run. i decided to start feeding only in the coop where the big girls only go to lay eggs and the little ones felt strong in there so they would be on top. now they eat perfectly fine together theres a few head pecks here and there. i have happy hens now lol.

Yeah, we take some away a few times to let them eat their meal in peace. Chickens can be so horrible to each other. We take away the submissive birds and when they are finished with their portion, I just let them go back in with the others. I try not to make a habit of it so they don't get too dependent (I hate when that happens, because then they stop trying to attain food for themselves).

I have @ least 2 feeders, two suet cages, two bowls w/ oyster shell and two waterers in the run! I also, sprinkle birdseed in lots of places! Giving them lots of feeding stations means no one bird can 'guard' them all... It works well... I also keep a waterer and feeder in the coop at all times--JUST in case someone get 'stuck' in there by a bully!

I have an OCD Alpha Hen that is always looking out for her girls (sex links) and often gets carried away with her title...when she pulls other breeds out of the nest box by their head I put her in Jail (a Chicken N Hutch with in the run). Nothing seems to change her. She seldom lays now...it is like she has assumed the roll of a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom