Is it wrong to leave a night-light on in the coop at night?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LauraG, Jun 24, 2010.

1. LauraG

LauraG Songster

Apr 13, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    My little ladies are 8 weeks old and enjoying their new coop. Is it wrong to leave a night light on all night for them?

I have been doing this and I think because they are my little babies or something, it makes ME feel better, but I was wondering if anyone else does this?

If something heaven forbid got in the coop at night, at least they would see it.

I can just see them in their coop at night from my bedroom window, all roosting in front of the window, heads hanging, with the soft glow of the night light on and I kind of like it.

But I want to do whats best for my chickens too.

Blessings,
    Laura

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Songster

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    It is not "wrong." Perhaps unnecessary, but if it makes YOU feel better... [​IMG]

I will tell you that I have found that when I *must* have a light on in my coop (in a brooder, for instance), my rooster crows half the night. [​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I have a small nightlight in my coop [​IMG] I like having a tiny bit of visibility when I go out there at night w/out worrying about grabbing a flashlight. Plus, I've read that keeping a little light on inside the coop helps deter predators a bit.

4. SandyK

SandyK Songster

Jul 8, 2009
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    There was an article this month in one of the poultry magazines that said it was a good idea for the babies. Going into a dark place was scary for them.

5. CityChook

CityChook Songster

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    My chickens were afraid of the dark when I turned off their light. They got used to it in a couple of days. No, they don't need a nightlight, but I think if it makes YOU feel better, then no harm done. And since it's just a low light, it's not like you're burning up your power bill.

I'm not sure how well chickens can see in low light. Their night vision isn't very good.

Now that they are big girls and used to the dark, I find that they will stay up all night and pick on each other if I leave a light on (like in the winter when it's really cold and I turn on their red light for warmth).

6. Neilette

Neilette Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    There is a point at which the degree of brightness of the light will affect their day/night cycle. For birds, light cycles are everything. It affects not only physiological function (laying, molting... migration!), but psychological health as well (24 hr. light OR dark can cause feather plucking and other issues -- parrot rescue groups, anyone?). For me, that would be a huge consideration and I would do some quick research to find out more about it. I would think that 'laying pattern' is a good measure of affect.

Probably best to keep it under the brightness at which it affects laying. Don't know off the top of my head what that is.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by