Is Layer feed ok for roo too?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Martha80, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Martha80

Martha80 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Randolph Co. Indiana
    Is layer feed ok for Mr. Roo too? I assume everybody in the coop eats the same thing. (I'm all for making this as simple as possible) I'm just wondering why we're not concerned about the extra calcium on his kidneys?

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    A flock rooster does just fine on layer feed, I think most folks with flock roosters use this simple feeding method, I do anyway.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I decided a while back not to. I have read of roosters who are ordinarily housed separately being fed a little higher protein feed, without the added calcium. Layer is fairly low protein -- again, i've read this is because commercial egg operations determined that they lay more eggs if protein isn't too high. And I have a mixed age flock; new chicks with their mamas are eating the same food that my layers and roosters are. I've always kept some oyster shell in a separate container, anyway, so I decided to switch to grower or starter / grower or flock raiser. Around here it has 2% or 3% higher protein. My hens are eating more oyster shell than they used to. I've ever seen a chick or rooster take any, even though I'm often out there 3 or 4 times a day and will sit and watch chicken TV if the weather isn't awful.

But people do what Al does all the time; I'm not saying it's wrong, and I did it myself for a couple of years when I didn't have young chicks around. I believe the extra calcium is more dangerous to immature birds than roosters, but I can't believe it is the best thing for roosters, either.

This is from opinions I've read, mostly on BYC, not scientific studies, and I don't have any sources to cite. So I could be all wet.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by